Make Your Business Invaluable with Social Media
Embed Size (px)
Mike Volpe, CMO of Hubspot and Kare Anderson, journalist and leadership coach, share 10 tips to make your business invaluable to your industry.
Transcript of Make Your Business Invaluable with Social Media
- Make Your Small Business Invaluable Using Social Media 10 Low Cost Tips For Gaining Attention Mike Volpe, HubSpot, Chief Marketing Officer @mvolpe Kare Anderson, Owner, Say It Better Center @kareanderson
- Safe Harbor Safe harbor statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: This presentation may contain forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties, and assumptions. If any such uncertainties materialize or if any of the assumptions proves incorrect, the results of salesforce.com, inc. could differ materially from the results expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements we make. All statements other than statements of historical fact could be deemed forward-looking, including any projections of product or service availability, subscriber growth, earnings, revenues, or other financial items and any statements regarding strategies or plans of management for future operations, statements of belief, any statements concerning new, planned, or upgraded services or technology developments and customer contracts or use of our services. The risks and uncertainties referred to above include but are not limited to risks associated with developing and delivering new functionality for our service, new products and services, our new business model, our past operating losses, possible fluctuations in our operating results and rate of growth, interruptions or delays in our Web hosting, breach of our security measures, the outcome of any litigation, risks associated with completed and any possible mergers and acquisitions, the immature market in which we operate, our relatively limited operating history, our ability to expand, retain, and motivate our employees and manage our growth, new releases of our service and successful customer deployment, our limited history reselling non-salesforce.com products, and utilization and selling to larger enterprise customers. Further information on potential factors that could affect the financial results of salesforce.com, inc. is included in our annual report on Form 10-K for the most recent fiscal year and in our quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the most recent fiscal quarter. These documents and others containing important disclosures are available on the SEC Filings section of the Investor Information section of our Web site. Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other presentations, press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make the purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available. Salesforce.com, inc. assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
- KARE ANDERSON Owner, Say It Better Center @kareanderson
- MIKE VOLPE CMO, HubSpot @mvolpe
- Buyers Are Sick of Being Interrupted 86% skip TV ads 44% of direct mail is never opened 91% unsubscribe 200m Say DO NOT CALL
- News Flash: You dont need a ton of money to attract customers anymore. Marketing today is more about the size of your brain than the size of your budget.
- You need remarkable content that pulls prospects in. More than ever, prospects are seeking out your online content to educate themselves before they buy. So shouldnt your content be helpful?
- 1 Understand Your Buyer
- Dont just know what your customers look for during the decision process, know where they look for it. Which social channels are your buyers most active on? What publications, websites or blogs do they read?
- Tip: Learn From Your Customers. Next time youre talking to a customer, ask which social media platforms they use and what publications they read. Not only will you be able to reach them more effectively, but this is a great indicator of where you need to be to get found by your prospects.
- 2 Make Your Content Remarkable
- Think Like a Media Company
- But wait, my business cant write 5 blog posts a week. We only have a person marketing team! Pick two questions you frequently hear from customers, write an actionable blog post on them, and share on your social platforms. Host an hour-long Chat on Twitter to answer questions your audience has been asking. Conduct interviews with thought leaders and post them on your blog.
- 3 Always Be Engaging
- Focus on how to be social, not how to do social - Jay Baer Jump into the conversation by sharing insights and links on social media. Offer helpful content from your business, as well as others. Dont be afraid to have a voice and be conversational with your followers. Follow social media accounts that generate discussion on your business, industry, or product.
- Wistia, a video hosting service, engages with customers on Twitter.
- Have Fun, Be Human. http://twitter.com/meaghano/status/1767991757
- 4 Reward Your Advocates
- Your customers are your best spokespeople, they will tell all their friends and followers about your company if you create a remarkable buying experience. Shouldnt you capture that conversation and reward them? Reward your customers for being advocates on social media by sharing and praising their comments. Tag their Twitter handles to get them involved in future conversations and connect them with other leaders in your industry.
- Icon SnowSkates, a small winter sports gear company based in Massachusetts, motivates customers on Facebook.
- 5 Identify and focus on key stakeholders: best customers, hottest prospects, key media
- 6 Be quotable using the A.I.R. formula Be Actionable Be Interesting Be Relevant
- 7 Act connective: Address your prospects interests first, then find a sweet spot of shared interest
- 8 5:1 ratio: cite others best tips and successes 5 times for every one that you promote yours
- 9 Provide bragging rights
- 10 Become your key medias favorite Subject Matter Expert
- 11 BONUS! Examples of SMB Success
- Example: Sinclair Heating, Cooling and Plumbing Sinclair HVAC / Plumbing Industry Under 200 Employees
- Example: Sinclair Heating, Cooling and Plumbing Results: Website traffic up by 400% 1,000 Twitter followers and 400 Facebook Likes; Growing at 30% Blog article on Tankless vs Tank Water Heater has 2,000 views Advice: Go Out on a Limb I went out on a limb when I first started; the rest of the company had an old school mentality. This has been a grand slam. This works, its a no brainer. And I can prove it. I love it.
- Example: IDR Solutions IDR Solutions Software Industry Under 10 Employees
- Example: IDR Solutions Search optimized website for keywords Software Industry Under 10 Employees Launched a blog; 70+ articles to date (20 / month) Results: Website traffic up by 125% Leads generated from organic search up 120% Advice: Use Analytics to Determine Content By looking at our reports, we waste much less time on blog posts or new content topics which have historically not attracted many potential customers.
- Example: Cogentys Cogentys eLearning Under 50 Employees
- Example: Cogentys Results: Inbound web traffic up by 300%, cut all Google PPC Ads Lead generation increased 716% Reduced sales cycle from email nurturing Advice: We were doing the right things blogging, SEO, social media we just were not doing them well. By refocusing our efforts and bringing everything together we got great inbound marketing results.
- Kare Anderson Mike Volpe Owner, Say It Better Center @kareanderson CMO, HubSpot @mvolpe
- All about HubSpot HubSpots marketing software platform helps more than 10,000 companies in 56 countries attract leads and convert them into customers. A pioneer in inbound marketing, HubSpot aims to help its customers make marketing that people actually love. Rated #1 in marketing software Customer Satisfaction in 200+ reviews on G2Crowd. Over 240 five-star reviews on AppExchange. Customers across all industries ranging from one employee small businesses to 10,000+ employee enterprises. Investment from Sequoia Capital, Google, Salesforce.com, Fidelity and others.
- All about Say It Better Center Kare Anderson helps you hone the skills you need to stay relevant, sought-after and become more quotable, connected and collaborative. Quote-ability Connection Collaboration Coaching
- SMB Keynote: Grow your business faster Gateway Theatre #smallisBIG Wednesday 2pm 3pm /Dreamforce