Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Log book
- 1. AS Media Foundation Portfolio Music MagazineLog Book Laura Clarke
2. Research 3. Blender Magazine Blender is a music magazine aimed at an audience of middle age female adults. Blender is the new magazine that advertises and sells the unique sound that is rock & roll, it is displayed in all its forms from; new metal to hip hop, and rock to R&B. The magazine is the spirit of 21 stcentury rock & roll. It is a monthly magazine that focuses on the different music genres and information on the music field. The quality of the images and text are fairly good. The title is large and bold, however it is behind the main image and is slightly hard to read this is negative as the name doesnt stand out and if people are looking for it they might not be able to see it as clearly. The front image is clear and good as it is of a well known singer that people will recognise straight away and relate her to music. I have also realised that the magazine doesnt have a barcode or date of issue and magazine number visible. However the side heading stories are well structured and stand off the page, they can be clearly read this is positive as people will straight away want to carry reading on. 4. Billboard Magazine Billboard magazine is aimed at a slightly younger age group of females, as it includes a lot more names from the top charts it appeals more to a younger age group that are up to date with the music charts. The colours used for the background are slightly more tonal which makes the rest of the text stand out. The main image is again of a well known female artist that would be associated with music, the image is very clear and of a good quality. Compared to Blender magazine there are a lot more feature heading and stories, so this could be the magazine trying to advertise that they have a lot more content than any other music magazine. However the colours of the feature stories are in white text ant the bottom of the picture it is white, so some of the text cant be seen as clearly. The logo is very creative and has a retro look. I really like the idea of having the Os and Ds coloured in. I might use this method for the logo of my magazine Loud as I can colour the O and the D in it will give my magazine a unique look. 5. Who produces Blender and Billboard magazines
- Blender-Blender was published by Dennis Publishing. The magazine was first published in 1994. It was the first CD/ROM magazine, it published 15 digital CD issues in the UK. The magazine was launched on the web in 1997 and started as a print edition again in 1999. Blender magazine was owned by a company called Alpha Media Group, but the company closed Blender magazine down on March 26 th2009 due to no sales. The last print based blender magazine was published in April 2009.
- Billboard- The company that produces Billboard magazine is called Prometheus Global Media. They are an American Entertainment Publishing Company. The company was formed by the by the sale of the entertainment and media division of Nielsen Business Media in
- December 2009
6. Magazine research
- Bauer media Group is a company that produce and publish many well known magazines such as Kerrang and Mojo.
- The German company based in Hamburg and has 15 other operating companies worldwide.
- The company was founded in 1875 and is privately owned and is under the management of the Bauer family
7. Conventions of a Music Magazine
- These features should all be considered when making a music magazine :
- Suitable and bold main front cover image
- Bright and eye catching colours
- Colour co-ordinated throughout the magazine
- Plenty to look at
- Bold and easy to read text
- Cover lines
- Eye catching colour lines
8. Planning 9. Analysing a front cover To help me get some ideas for the layout of my front page, so I got some inspiration from the Billboard magazine. I like the idea of having a smaller main image as it gives more room for side heading and titles. The colour of the background is simple but effective and the name of the magazine is clearly visible, whereas with other issues of Billboard the name of the magazine can be hidden by the main image. The bar code is situated in the bottom left hand corner of the magazine so it is out of the way from the rest of the text. The name of the band is in bold next to the image I think that this is a good idea as it makes the image stand out and it makes sense. 10. Design plan for front cover This is a drawn design for the front page of my music magazine. I have decided to keep the name of the magazine visible, so that the image only covers a small part of it. I have done this as I like the style of the name and I think that it will promote and advertise the product better as people will be able to see what it is called. The main image I will use will be of a teenage girl aged 17 called Rhyanon. She is wearing a simple black dress and belt with a gold necklace, I decided to keep the pose simple because I didnt want it to look too fussy. I have kept all of the text the same colour (white) as I think this looks simple and effective. I have made sure that any names are in bold so that they stand out more and catch peoples attention. I have put the date, issue number, and bar code in the top right hand corner so that it is out of the way from the rest of the text giving me more room for text and a bigger image. I have also included a small image of the girl band The Saturdays as they are a well recognised band. 11. Analysing a contents page This is an image of the contents page for the billboard magazine. It has been set out into three separate columns. One with the names of albums and songs in the top charts, the next with the main contents, and the last column has the details for the magazines online website. I will be using this method on my magazine. The main contents on one side, the image features on the other side and a note from the editor at the bottom of the page. I think that this layout is very modern and professional.The main features have a small image to go with them, I believe this has been done as these are the most important articles. The contents page also has details for the website of the magazine, this is useful for the reader as they know for future reference if they cant get the magazine they are able to access the website. 12. Design plan for contents page This is a drawn design for the contents page of my music magazine. I will have a small image of the front page of my magazine, to show what page the main features are on that are featured on the front page. I will do this this because the features are the most important part that makes people want to look at the magazine so it is important to make them more obvious. I have decided to use the same style as the Billboard magazine so for example there will be three sections on the page one will feature the actual contents in text another section will feature 3 main images and the final section at the bottom of the page will have a short paragraph introducing the magazine from the editor this will also have a small picture of the editor. I found from my research that this is used in quite a lot of professional magazines so I think this would make my magazine look even more professional. 13. Analysing a double page spread This is an image of a double page spread from the magazine Shout. It features the girl band The Saturdays. The title is bold and catches your attention. I like the fact that the image is carried all across the top of the page, and the interview is at the bottom of the page, as this separates the page into two sections. I might use this idea in my double page spread. The colours are all very girly and bright so they stand out. I think this is important because if the text was blue or green it wouldnt appeal to girls as much. The image used is very clever as each band member is looking into the camera, so this makes the reader seem involved. 14. Design plan for double page spread This is a design for my double page spread. I will have a box at the top of the page separating the two different sections where I will promote two new bands. I will have slightly different layouts for the two. 15. In what ways will your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
- I think that the final outcome of my magazine will relate to the existing music magazines such as Billboard. My magazine will follow certain convention from Billboard such as the layout colours and design. However I will be aiming my magazine at a slightly different audience, so I will be presenting it with slightly different wording and images.
- My magazine will challenge other professional music magazines already on the market, and the conventions of other music magazines. My magazine will be targeted at an audience of both male and females aged 14-20. So to help me get ideas for this, I have researched magazines that are aimed at this specific audience such as Billboard and kerrang.
- I think that doing the research will help my final product more professional as I will have all the required content, so I think it would have a place in the market alongside other professional magazines.
16. How does your media product represent particular social groups?
- I plan for my magazine audience to be male and females aged 14-20
- I feel that the representations of young teenagers in the media today are very negative. So I want the representations in my magazine to be positive about