Let¢â‚¬â„¢s Go Live!! ¢â‚¬¢ Search...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Let¢â‚¬â„¢s Go Live!! ¢â‚¬¢ Search...
Wednesday Webinars www.extension.umd.edu/womeninag
Introduction to Instagram
Michele Walfred Communication Specialist, University of Delaware Tracy Wootten, Horticulture Agent, University of Delaware
Gold Level Agriculture Law Education Initiative
PNC Silver Level
Avery Hall Insurance Choptank Electric Cooperative Crow Insurance Delaware Council of Farm Organizations Delaware State University – Small Farms Program
EnSave MDA – Crop Insurance MDA – Ag Mediation MidAtlantic CommonGround Shore United Bank & Wye Financial Weller & Associates Inc
Instagram! Can it Work for You?
Introduction to Instagram Michele Walfred –University of Delaware Tracy Wootten – University of Delaware
Wednesday, March 8, 2017
• Mobile platform only (view-only from computer) • Photo sharing • Hashtag driven • Audience of curators • Audience = 600 Million • 30% of entire adult population • Artistic Platform
What is Instagram?
Artistic, purposeful content
• Advocate for agriculture • Emphasize family farm • Positive values
• Your agribusiness • Creamery, winery, garden center, venues
• Extension • Teaching moments: flowers, insects • Hashtags in another language
• Overall: Videos up to one minute. Images- high quality any orientation
All Reasonable Effort
• Younger • Hispanic 38% • Black 47%
Getting Started – Hashtags Matter! • Fill out profile. One website URL
is allowed. • Icon consistent with other social
media • Follow some local accounts. See
who they are following and follow them as well.
• Comment on other gardening, Extension, stakeholder, & media accounts. This is the best way to be followed back.
• Search for hashtags on content you will be posting. Comment or like.
• Determine the trending local hashtags for your state and use them. In Delaware, we have #Delagram, #iGDelaware #Delaware and #DE365. Use what is being used in your state!
• Hashtags are not case sensitive. • Tag partners and friends when
Attracting new followers
• Start local. Follow newspapers, media, legislators, restaurants, similar businesses or organizations in your area. Make note of common #s
• Who are they following? • Like their photos and comment on them! Five-word comments. • Who is your target audience? Search & engage. • Have a public account • Use a lot of hashtags! Current wisdom is to place in comment section • Post quality photographs • Avoid a hard sell • Write a great profile • Tag friends, partners
Develop a look
• Give your customers a #hashtag • Point of sale, receipt or bag
stuffer • Are they enjoying your ice
cream? • What are they pairing your wine
with? • Having fun at your event? • Print out on a wall • Offer incentives
• Shout out volunteers • Calendar-garden to do • What is this flower/shrub • Flavors of ice cream • Differences in your product • Problems in the garden • Examples of best practices
• Video up to 60 seconds • Appear on camera or not • Spanish-language versions • Tag people • Use lots of hashtags
Example of a post
• Happy August! Has summer flown by for you?
#sunflower #garden #august #yellow #summer #flower #gardening #petals #Delagram
• A beautiful day to flutter around and tour the #butterfly garden with our host @EleanorSwink #CoopExt #garden #pollinators #workshops #education #Delaware #VolunteerDE #summer #UDSummer #butterflies
Takeaways • Video up to 60 seconds (square or landscape) • Square, landscape or portrait photos • Followers? Follow local first & comment on their photos • High quality photos • Teachable moments • Hashtags! • Camera shy? Point at the topic
• Google Analytics – social media referrals to your website • Social media management tools – Hootsuite
• Iconosquare (not free) • SimplyMeasured • InstaFollow (Mobile app) • Union Metrics (free, limited)
• Engage, engage, engage • Learn the right hashtags • Pay attention to the overall look of your feed
Before we go live:
Horticulture Extension Agent, M.S. University of Delaware
Email: Wootten@udel.edu Phone: (302) 856-7303
Communications Specialist, M.A. University of Delaware
Email: Walfred@udel.edu Phone: (302) 856-7303
Twitter: @mwalfred @UDExtension @Delaware4h Instagram: @mdw302
Sponsors Instagram! Can it Work for You? What is Instagram? Artistic, purposeful content All Reasonable Effort Slide Number 6 Getting Started – Hashtags Matter! Attracting new followers Slide Number 9 Slide Number 10 Slide Number 11 Slide Number 12 Develop a look Customer curation! Slide Number 15 Content suggestions Example of a post Another example Takeaways Metrics Summary Before we go live: