Kwantlen Polytechnic University February 14, 2012

download Kwantlen Polytechnic University February 14, 2012

of 43

  • date post

  • Category


  • view

  • download


Embed Size (px)


Kwantlen Polytechnic University February 14, 2012. Overview of today’s presentation. Temporary Resident Visa aka “Visa” Study Permit extensions Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) Permanent Residence (PR) National Occupation Classification “NOC” These two PR categories: - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

Transcript of Kwantlen Polytechnic University February 14, 2012

  • Kwantlen Polytechnic UniversityFebruary 14, 2012

  • Temporary Resident Visa aka VisaStudy Permit extensionsPost-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)

    Permanent Residence (PR)National Occupation Classification NOCThese two PR categories:Federal Skilled Workers (SW)Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

    Overview of todays presentation

  • Required by citizens of certain countriesMust be obtained at a Canadian visa officeAllows a person to travel to CanadaMay be for single or multiple entriesMust be used before expiry dateDoes not determine length of stay in CanadaTravelling to the U.S.?Temporary Resident Visa TRV

  • May apply by mail or online

    Application and fee ($125)

    Copy of valid passport


    Proof of current registration from institution

    Proof of funds available

    Postmark or date of upload important for status!

    Study Permit Extensions

  • If you apply to extend your status before it expires, then you will have implied status

    You may legally remain in Canada until your application is processedYou may be able to continue studying or working**If you do not apply before the expiry of your status, you cannot continue to study or work until your status has been restored and you must apply for restoration within 90 days after your status was lost. $200 extra feeImplied Status - Restoration

  • Available to graduates of a:Canadian university Community college, Publicly funded trade/technical school, Private institution authorized by provincial statute to grant degrees

    Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)

  • Students must have engaged in full-time studies.

    Studies must have taken place at the institution.

    Students must graduate with a degree, diploma or certificate.

    The minimum program length is eight months two semesters.Post-Graduate Employment Criteria

  • Students must apply within exactly 90 days of notification that they have met requirements of their program.Students must include dated evidence that they have met requirements of their program, such as a:Final transcript Letter from the institutionFormal notification of graduationYou must still be in possession of a valid study permit the date you applyPost-Graduate Work Permit Application

  • Depends on the length of your completed program.

    Eight months up to two years same length

    Two years or more a three year work permit

    A two year program is two academic years of at least eight months per year, excluding scheduled breaks such as summer holidays.

    Post-Graduate Work Permit Length

  • StuIf you complete a one-year degree, diploma or certificate program* no more than two years after having completed a first certificate, a diploma or degree program*, you may qualify for a three-year work permit.

    Two years or less between completion dates is the key point

    *Always from a participating institution in CanadaPGWP Combining Programs

  • You may study part-time only in the final semester of your program.

    If you hold a valid Off-Campus Work Permit on the date you apply for your Post-Graduate Work Permit, you may begin to work FULL TIME as soon as you submit your application.

    There is a one time eligibility for the PGWP.

    More on the PGWP

  • Interested in Permanent Residence?

  • search NOC

  • When the second digit is 0 or 1 the skill level isSkill Level A (Professional Occupations) When the second digit is 2 or 3 the skill level isSkill Level B (Technical, Paraprofessional and Skilled OccupationsWhen the second digit is 4 or 5 the skill level isSkill Level C (Intermediate Occupations)When the second digit is 6 the skill level isSkill Level D (Labouring and Elemental Occupations)First Digit is the number 0 Management


  • Your application is eligible for processing IF:

    1 - You have an offer of arranged employment AEO (what is this?)

    2 - You are a SW who has at least one year of experience* in one or more of the 29 occupations listed on our website

    PR: Skilled Workers Can I apply now?

  • Skilled Workers Can I apply now?Also eligible to apply as of November 5*:

    3 Currently enrolled PhD students in good standing who have completed at least two years of their PhD program in Canada

    4 Successful PhD graduates from a Canadian school who apply no later than one year after completion of their program

    *1000 applications per year, ending Oct 31 each year

  • An arranged offer of employment aka Arranged Employment Opinion is based on these factors :The job offer is permanent; The job offer is genuine; The wages and working conditions offered for the job are comparable to those offered to Canadians working in the occupation; The employment is full-time, not seasonal. Assessed by HRSDC and is obtained by your employer, not you

    1 - Arranged Employment Opinion AEO

  • 500 / 10,000 MAX; July 1 to June 30

  • ALL applicants must possess at least one year of work experience within the 10 years prior to the date of application,

    At one or more of these NOC skill levels:O Management and/orA Professional and/orB Technical/Skilled Trades

    SW Minimum Requirements Work Experience

  • F/T = 37.5 hrs per week x 52 weeks 1950 hours per year The work experience must be continuous full-time or equivalent part-time, obtained anywhere in the worldSW Minimum Requirements Work Experience

  • Skilled Worker Selection Factors

  • Skilled Workers Self-assessment

  • Two streams: Temporary foreign workers and Recent graduates from Canadian post-secondary institutions who plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

    Assessed on 3 factors (not point system): education (depending on selected stream) work experienceability to communicate in English or FrenchCanadian Experience Class CEC

  • (1) Temporary Foreign Workers Stream2 years full time work experience (1950 x 2)within the 3 years prior to the date of application

    (2) Graduates Stream (Student Stream)graduated from a recognized Canadian post-secondary educational institution, then obtained1 year full time (or equivalent) work experience within the 2 years prior to the date of application (two year window)CEC Requirements

  • A full time qualifying educational program of at least two years two academic years of at least eight months each excluding scheduled breaks, such as summer holidays

    A one-year qualifying credential (e.g., college diploma), followed by a one-year graduate credential (e.g., Masters, MBA or Post-baccalaureate), no more than two years after graduating with the first credential. In Canada only

    CEC Education Requirements Student Stream

  • For both streams, your work experience must be: full-time or equivalent (remember 1950) acquired in Canada and only in Canada at the NOC 0, A or B level only; no C or D Self-employment or unauthorised work doesnt count Graduates: work experience must be acquired after completion of studies in Canada (not co-op, not R/A or T/A) CEC Work Experience Requirements

  • Student StreamTwo year window to obtain one year of full time or equivalent experience

    Temporary Foreign Worker StreamThree year window to obtain two years full time or equivalent experience (no educational requirement)

    Remember it is always two years back in time from the date you sign and submit your applicationCEC Work Experience Requirements

  • English or French test results must be submitted with your application results valid for two years

    Designated testing agencies :IELTS: International English Language Testing SystemCELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program TOEFL is not acceptedTEF: Test dEvaluation de Francais

    Language Requirements

  • Skilled Workers - points awarded for each official language up to 16 points for 1st official language up to 8 points for 2nd official language

    CEC assesses proficiency of only one official language minimum requirements vary by work experience NOC 0 or A: level 7 of Canadian Language Bench. NOC B: level 5 of CLBLanguage Requirements

  • Language


  • Processing FeePrincipal applicant $550Spouse/partner $550Child $150Right of Permanent Residence Fee Principal applicant$490 Spouse/partner $490

    Interview?Other Requirements for PR Applying with a spouse or C/L partner?


  • What do I do next???

  • YOU determine which program suits you bestObtain application packageEnsure you meet all the requirements of the classDo an online self-assessment to see if you qualify under the Skilled Workers Program Read the instruction guide and gather supporting documentsFill out the application forms and pay appropriate fees Mail application to the Intake OfficeMaintain your TR status if you remain in Canada! How to Apply

  • SW and CEC First to the Centralized Intake Office in Sydney, NS. If you qualify for processing, you will be instructed to submit application to Buffalo or to your home visa office. No shopping around

    The Application Process

  • Immigration Consultants Do you need one?

  • search NOC