Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Jml kanji-look-and-learn-121215034654-phpapp01
- 1. / li i 7 LOOK AND LEARN512Kani11,1[LE :: 111::::1liniCHinls ErI Bonno The YokO lkedO chikOkO shin 9 wO KOOn TOlimo Kyoko TOkOshi
- 2. 2n CHh E Bonno Yoko lkedo ChkOkO ShnogowO Koo To mo Kyoko TOkOsh Thc
- 3. [ ] Copyright 2009 1yE Bam6,Yoko lkeda,Chikako Shinagawa,Kao Taiima,and Kyoko Tokashk. All ri ltS rcservedo No part of this publication ma.y be reproduced,stored in a retrieval s,stem,Or transnlitted in any fol...or by any lneans,electrOnic,mcchanical,photocopying,recor( ng,or otherwise, without the p or wrltten pennission ofthc publishc First cdition: lay 2009 111ustrations:No ko Udagawa Layout dcslgn and typesettmg:DER Inc. Covcr designi Nakayalna Design O ce Gino Nakayama andKcnii Sugiyama Plblished by The Japan Tmes,Ltd. 5-4,Shibaura 4-chome,N}1 Tokyo 108-0023,Japan Phone:03-3453-2013 h ://7b00kclubjapantmes. jp/ 1SBN978-4-78 }1349-9 Printcd in Japan
- 4. 5 512 5 L 2009 4 [31
- 5. Preface This book is a begillning to interlnediatc level kanJi textbook for Japancsc-language leamers from cultures that do not use Chinese characters.It is designed for basically o types ofstudents those who have alreadybegun to leam ktti but Wantto he more fm in their studies,andthOSe without anybackground in kal i WhO Walltto Startleaming these characters. Katti callnOtbe mastcrcd ovemight,and many leamers ind thc characters to be illtimi dating,tricky to memorize,and easy to forget.We,the authors ofthis book,have frequently worked with such leamers in our roles as Japanese language instructors,so we deCided to pooltogether ideas from our daily teaching experiences to create atool forhclping students to tacklc kanJi.By caremlly sclccting and rcflning our idcas,we came up with a book that makes ka1lCaming hl and casy through illustrations and llmemonic hints for each ofthe 5 12 characters prescnted.We hope that this book will enable students to e Oyly leam many kanJi and that it will serve as a handy reference for Japanese-language instrllctors when they teach kanJi. We wish to express our dcep appreciation to cveryone who assisted us during the flvc years it took to bring this book to completiono We espccially thank Chiaki Sckido of the Japan Tilnes Publications Department for painstakingly editillg our work,No ko Udagawa for drawing the illustrations,Yutaka Ono for aiding our developmellt ofthe lnate al,and our students for inspiring us to crcate this book. Apri1 2009 The Authors
- 6. (3()Ke COntent9 /Preface`.: [31 /About This Book 181 C)]//Kanii BaSiCS : =  /Kanii Parts pq 1 2 3 10
- 7. 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 :61
- 8. 30 31 32 ' (StrOke Countlndex) Reading lndex) (Kanii Shape index) (Vocabulary lndex) 198 200 209 217
- 9. 1. 512 2. 4 3 512 116 32 4 32 Part l Part 3 3 Part l Part 2 Part 3 1-10 11-20 21-32 4 160 3 160 2 192 3. ( )
- 10. 1.Targeted Users and Purpose This book is designed priinarily for leamers from cultures that do not use Chinese characters.It presents 512 begilllling allld inteFlnediate-level katti along ith illustrations and inncmonic hints that make it fm and easy to lcam the haracters.By stu ing with this textbook and practicing with the companion workbook,users should become able to comprehend beginning and intennediate-level kanii tley comc across in reading,and tO writc those characters om memory. 2.Selection and Composition of Kanii Presented Thc 512 L i preSCnted in this book wcre selected on the basis ofsetteral factors,such as tlleir inclu sion in levels 3 and 4 oftlle Japanese Language Proicicncy Tcst(JLPT),and their usc as parts of otllcr katti.This book is divided into 32 1essons,each ofwhich covers 16 kall.The characters are presented h order of their JLPT classiicatiOn,sttting witl lcvc1 4 and gradually working up to lcvc1 2.The lcssons are grouped into tlree parts according to their JLPT lcvel,as indicatcd belo l Lessons Kanil Part l l-10 160 characters,including all JLPT leve1 4 ka i Part 2 11-20 160 characters,including all JLPT leve1 3 kanii Part 3 21-32 192 characters,lnainly from JLPT lcvc1 2 3.Features of This Book Kanii can be easitt learned through fun illustrations and mnemonic hints Thc in illustrations and mnemonic hil ts that accolnpany the katti preSented in this book prO de a lmk be/cen each charactcr's shapc and its meaning,making it casicr for uscrs to collunit tllc ka i to memory Some illustrations are based on pictograllls,vhile others were freely creatcd with no relation ship to thc charactcr's origin. The book doubles as a kanii diCtiOmary This book is designed to allow users to readily look up the meaning,Icadings,stroke count,and strokc ordcr ofkatti,aS well as thc ka i that fOrln part of othcr characters,casily conised kalJi,alld words incorporating particular kall i By referring to the various indexcs included atthe end ofthc book, begi ing leamers can use this book like a katti diCtiOnary. e Workbook helps users to gain a rFlrmer grasp ofkanii Using the companion workbook(sold Separate )in cOttllnctiOnwitllthis book enablesusers to leanl htti nOt Only tt the lcvel ofcharacters and words,but also in tllc contcxt of scntences alld longer text. Kanii can be learned efrlcientw The kaji vocabulaly in this book that should be smdied fOr particular levels oftlle JLPT have bcen shaded to make it easier for leal llers to focus on them.These expressions are also practiced in the work book to allow beginning allld intermediate stlldents to eicient lcam the necessary L ji.
- 11. == ::3 4. () >> > () ( ) ( ) Part l( 1 10): 4 Part 2( 11 20): 3 4 Part 3( 21 32): 2 4 X to run lrun even when m covered > > ( "ll ll ( )ta ( )cscapC flom a pjson ( )rtlllnhg aw ( )nllning,moving ) ( )Dcccmbcr 7> 1 1 o ) o50
- 12. 4.Kanil Tables Each target kaul is presentcd in a table fbrIInattcd as follows. to run lrun even whenl'm covered > > (`14 ( )fcast t( )cscapc nom a psO. ( )llll ngv ( )lmh3 mttng of ) nlcltorcydc gallg ( )Dccclllb 7> 1/ FI 1 oo ) o50 Entry number The targct kattiarc nurnbercd in o dcr oftheir appearance in the book. Kanii Meaning(ill Englis Readings Readings marlced with>are 777 ,Or readhgs der ed from tl c Chinesc pronunci41on of thC charactc Those marked with are ttIPO ,Or readings that represellt the native Japanese word for the conccpt expressed by the character. Both = 772 and2 = 777 readings Fre arranged in the order of their appcarance in the vocabulary liSt()Ofthe tablc Each table presents all readings includcd m thc J5y5 KattiliSt(a liSt Of l,945 standard kanJiissucd by Japan's Ministry ofEd10ation in 1981). 0 0 l z and77, r adings sometilncs changc to assimilated or voiced sounds vhen the kanJi appetts in the middle or end of a compound.Such phonetically shited readings are also included if thc table's vocabula list contains words with those readings. Rcadings listed in bold are ones that slould bC Studicd as part ofthe lesson.Thesc arc readhgs that appear in the shadcd expressions(fOCus words)OfthC t le's vocabula7 1ist. Mnemonic hint This is a short dcscption or scenario designed to facilitate lnemorization ofthe characte Thevord in bold indicates the kallJl'S rneaning.Rcading the lnnemonic hint whilc looking atthc accolmpanylng illustration allows the user to fonm a lnental link be veen the kanJl's foflll and meaning,Inaking it easier to rcmember thcm.Also,kani cnclosed in parcnthescs in the lllncmonic hillt are a part ofthe target kanJi,or are related to the target kttji.This feattre was added to malce new k i eaSier to remembcrby tying tllem to kanil already leamed. A Japanese translation is providcd fOr each hint. Vocabulary list This section lists exprcssiOns containing the target kan i that are frequent used Or represellt various readings of thc target kal i.Shadcd expressions are focus words tl at should be memorized,and are included in the workbook drills.The levels ofthe shaded expressions are as follo vs.
- 13. : Kallii Parts Kallii Parts (Kallii Parts ) : 5.Kanii Parts p. p7]Kallii Parts Kallii Parts () 16 16 Kallii Parts A P A.knife 1 40 1293 1376 412 6. (p.198 p199) 8 1 (p.200 p.208) (p.209 p216) (p.217 p.244)
- 14. Pat l(Lessons l-10): Mainly WOrds at JLPT leve1 4 Part 2(Lessons H 20):Mainly words atJLPT levels 3 and 4 Part 3(Lessons 21-32):Mainly words at PT levels 2 to 4 Vocabulary marked with*arc words h which the target ktti haS anunusualreading nOtlistcd inthe readings scctiOn( )ofthe table Stroke cOunt ()Stroke Order Addidomalinformatio OR( :Items markedwithttare kaIl or COlnponents thtt foml part ofthe target kal Ji, or are kanil includcd in thc lllmemonic hint.Iftlle item is al indepcndcnt charactc the entry number is gcn.If tllc item is a kalJi part,tl e corresponding ka i part codc is listcd(scC the following section;``Ktti PartS,''for details). Jtts ` 4S :Items marked with all exclamation mark( )arc kanJi tl at are casily conhsed with tlle target ka i due tO their similttity in forln.It's ilmportant to take notice ofthe differcnces in shape so in order to avoid using the vrong kalJi. 5.Kanii Parts Pages listkaljiparts,which are colmponents ofka ithat hold meaning oftheir own.They arc oftell referred to as``radicals."There are many radicals,b lt the kanJi parts list presentsjust sixtcen at ould be memOrized by users ofthis book.These sixteen ka i partS are arranged according to stroke ordet and are coded with letters A to R Each is presented along vith its rneaning,stroke ordet an illustration,and all kttjiinthis bookthatincorportte the same part(the entt null bers ofthese kal i are also given). 6.ln