Internal VS external coaching
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Internal VS external coaching
- 1. An Analysis by Chaim Rothstein
- 2. Outline Coaching Defined Advantages of coaching in general Current coaching statistics/ROI External Coaching Defined External coaching advantages External coaching disadvantages Internal Coaching Defined Internal coaching advantages Internal coaching disadvantages Main Similarities & Differences Conclusion/Recommendations
- 3. Coaching Defined Partnering with clients in a thought- provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.
- 4. Advantages of Coaching in a Business Setting Enhance Employee Skills Address Derailing Behaviors Maximize Productivity Boost Employee Engagement Cultivate High Potential Employees
- 5. Current Coaching Statistics/ROI - Coaching at Work Survey 2002: Coaching for all - MetrixGlobal 2001 Study: ROI = 788% - Personnel Management Association Report: Coaching combined with training = 88% increase in productivity - Manchester Inc. Survey: ROI of almost 6X the cost of the coaching - Metropolitan Life Financial Services: Retails sales people. $620,000 coaching cost delivered $3.2 million in measurable gains
- 6. External Coaching Defined An individual who is self- employed or employed outside the organization and provides coaching services within the organization.
- 7. External Coaching Advantages Professionally Certified Highly Trained Objective Perspective Specialized Skills Experience Exclusive Focus on Coachee
- 8. External Coaching Disadvantages Cost Small % of organization has access Lack of consistency in model Ad hoc engagements Lack of clarity around multiple factors Lack of measurability Attrition risk
- 9. Internal Coaching Defined Instead of paying for external coaches to come into the company, an organization trains its own professionals to be coaches for the organization.
- 10. Internal Coaching Advantages Cost Knowledge of the business/culture Expands traditional approach to leadership development More access to information about coachee Specific and relevant job knowledge Efficiency Promotes informal coaching across management Opportunity to connect across the organization
- 11. Internal Coaching Disadvantages Balancing multiple roles Attunement to conflicts of interest Managing multiple relationships Attending to confidentiality Difficulty listening objectively Abstaining from certain decisions Managing relationship boundaries
- 12. Main Similarities Sensibility and competencies Well-conceived coaching methods Clear contracting Confidentiality/Record keeping Resource to discuss conflicts of interest Matching process
- 13. Main Differences Frequency and scope Tenure of coachee; Coaching focus Formalization Duration Coachs source of knowledge and context Retention COST
- 14. Conclusion/Recommendations Coaching is an effective tool Pros and cons to both Internal & External Best to use in tandem Budget is a big factor Depends on what the goal is Internal would be ideal to promote a coaching culture
- 15. References 1. ATD at Work: Creating an Internal Coaching Program https://www.td.org/Publications/TD-at-Work/2014/Creating-An- Internal-Coaching-Program 2. Center for Coaching Solutions: Starting and Running an Internal Coaching Program http://www.centerforcoachingsolutions.com/white-papers.html 3. The Hudson Institute of Santa Barbara: Creating an Organizational Strategy for Coaching http://www.cenera.ca/documents/144.pdf 4. iCoach NY: Possibilities and Pitfalls of Internal Coaching http://www.icoachnewyork.com/news.php 5. Results Coaching Systems: Driving Change with Internal Coaching Programs http://www.davidrock.net/files/Driving_Organisational_Change_ with_Internal_Coaching_Programs.pdf 6. http://www.free-management-ebooks.com/faqch/principles- 05.htm 7. http://www.what-is-coaching.com/icfcoachingdefinition.html