Insights from Tim Wilson, World-Renowned Psychologist
Embed Size (px)
10 Inspirational Moments from Timothy Wilson 1. We see the world from our own perspective - so we're always making assumptions. 2. Do good - be good. Change your behavior first and your story will follow. 3. Writing about emotional challenges in your life can improve your physical and mental health. Learn more by researching James Pennebaker's work. 4. Use subtle story prompts to stop a self-defeating thinking pattern. 5. Small edits can lead to lasting change because its self-sustaining. 6. To edit an organizational narrative, experiment by testing subtle changes on an ongoing basis. 7. If you adopt a new behavior, such as doing volunteer work, you will trigger a tentative revision in your self-view. 8. Failure is in the eye of the beholder - it's how you explain it to yourself. 9. Optimism is a honed skill - practice it as you would a sport. 10."We become self-controlling by exercising self-control, and courageous by performing acts of courage." Aristotle Advice: We are the stories we tell ourself. Reflection: What story are you telling yourself about yourself?
Transcript of Insights from Tim Wilson, World-Renowned Psychologist
- 1. PRESENTS10 InspirationalMoments fromTIMOTHY WILSON
- 2. World-renowned psychologistand professor atuniversity of Virginia.researcher of self-knowledgeand affective forecasting.Author of Redirect: Thesurprising new science ofpsychological change.
- 3. 1. We see the world fromour own perspectives,SO WERE ALWAYSMAKING ASSUMPTIONS
- 4. 2. Do good be good. CHANGE YOUR BEHAVIOR FIRST AND YOUR STORY WILL FOLLOW
- 5. 3. Writing about emotionalchallenges in your lifeCAN IMPROVE YOUR PHYSICALAND MENTAL HEALTH
- 6. 4. Use subtle story prompts TO STOP A SELF-DEFEATING THINKING PATTERN
- 7. 5. Small edits can lead to lasting changeBECAUSE ITS SELF-SUSTAINING
- 8. 6. To edit an organizational narrative,EXPERIMENT BY TESTING SUBTLE CHANGESON AN ONGOING BASIS
- 9. 7. If you adopt a new behavior(such as doing volunteer work),YOU WILL TRIGGER ATENTATIVE REVISIONOF YOUR SELF-VIEW
- 10. 8. Failure is in the eye of the beholder -ITS HOW YOU EXPLAIN IT TO YOURSELF
- 11. 9. Optimism is a honed skill - PRACTICE IT AS YOU WOULD A SPORT
- 12. 10. We become self-controllingby exercising self-control,AND COURAGEOUS BYPERFORMING ACTS OF COURAGE
- 13. B EST A DVICEYOU ARE THE STORYYOU TELL TO YOURSELF.
- 14. Want more?Listen to the full conversation at http://www.33voices.com/timothy-d-wilson/