How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Crush
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Crush
- 1. One thing humans have a hard time doing is predicting their instincts.
- 2. This is something Mother Nature was very, very clever about when she set them up.
- 3. Sure, we all have a raw desire to eat, for example, but we also have a huge range of things that can satisfy that hunger.
- 4. Even if you have a specific desire for a cheeseburger, for example, you won't starve if you can't find one.
- 5. There's plenty of other things that can fit the bill.
- 6. Or imagine being really thirsty.
- 7. Sure, you may have a hankering for red Gatorade, but if they don't have it at your local 7-11 you won't die of thirst.
- 8. You'll happily drink another flavor or even (gasp!) water.
- 9. Imagine if your friend invited you to a dinner party.
- 10. Would your presence be contingent on what they were serving? Not likely.
- 11. This is true for all instincts, especially sexual or romantic desire.
- 12. That's the strongest.
- 13. However, if it seems easy to switch a pizza for a cheeseburger, even when you've had your heart set on pizza, why is it so hard to stop pursuing any particular girl when she's simply not into you?
- 14. The Internet is filled with guys and gals DESPERATE to make that "one person" like them.
- 15. However, if you step back, the process is the same.
- 16. Before they met that person, they had a "raw instinct" or desire to meet somebody.
- 17. Then they met that person and they were close enough.
- 18. So now all their energies are focused on that "one person."
- 19. But consider this.
- 20. You're friend tells you he's having chicken burritos for dinner, and invites you over.
- 21. You're fantasizing about chicken burritos all week.
- 22. But then you show up, and he's got beef stew instead.
- 23. Will you pout, and refuse to eat? Will you feel like you're friend has tricked you?
- 24. No.
- 25. You may say something, but you'll eat the beef stew, and probably enjoy it.
- 26. So why can't we switch our romantic interests as quickly as we can switch our food interests?
- 27. It all comes down to our ancient brains.
- 28. Food was always just around the corner.
- 29. And built deeply into our collective experience is that there's plenty of different kinds of food.
- 30. So we KNOW on a deep, instinctive level, that if we don't get the particular food we're after, they'll be a suitable replacement sooner or later.
- 31. But with romantic interests, it's a LOT different.
- 32. For most of our history, most people only had a couple chances in their entire lives to hook up.
- 33. So we were programmed to see those few chances as DO OR DIE on a deep, instinctive level.
- 34. That's why when you've got your sites set on your crush, it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to forget about them and find somebody else.
- 35. But here's the thing.
- 36. If you literally FORCE yourself to interact with other people, you WILL find somebody that will replace them in your mind.
- 37. This is simply a matter of overriding unconscious instincts and programming with conscious thinking and behavior.
- 38. This is the stuff civilization is made of.
- 39. This is what civilized people do.
- 40. If you simply make it a habit, make it part of who you are, to interact with girls (or guys) on a regular basis.
- 41. You will be a lot less likely to get messed up emotionally by a crush that doesn't return the affection.
- 42. mindpersuasion.com/girlfriend-generator/