How To Build a Startup That Thrives: Dave Knox presentation at SXSW V2V 2013
Embed Size (px)
At the inaugural South by Southwest V2V in August 2013, Rockfish Chief Marketing Officer and Brandery Co-Founder Dave Knox presented a 20/20 Vision talk on “How to Build a Startup That Thrives.” The talk answered the question of “Can today’s startups become tomorrow’s General Mills or P&Gs?” In the startup world, overnight success stories make a big splash. But what happens when initial rounds of investment dry up, the press moves on and success relies on your business strategy as much as your creativity? This presentation can help entrepreneurs, startup founders and even brand marketers look beyond the first 5 years to build a foundation for the next 60.
Transcript of How To Build a Startup That Thrives: Dave Knox presentation at SXSW V2V 2013
- How to Build a Startup That Thrives Dave Knox Chief Marketing Ocer, Rocksh Co-Founder, The Brandery @rocksh @brandery
- Only 71 out of 500 companies from the original 1955 Fortune list remain today.
- General Motors Exxon Mobil DuPont Texaco General Electric Chevron U.S. Steel Mobil Gulf Oil Amoco Shell Oil Bethlehem Steel Sinclair Oil Union Carbide CBS Kennecott ConocoPhillips International Paper Eastman Kodak Technologies AT&T Technologies Republic Steel Procter & Gamble Goodyear Tire & Rubber Machines Intl. Business Machines Alcoa Nabisco Group Holdings Citgo Petroleum ARMCO AMAX Conoco Fortune Brands Phelps Dodge Ryerson Tull RCA Firestone Tire & Rubber Sunoco Goodrich J.E. Seagram PPG Industries Marathon Oil Kraft Boeing Atlantic Richeld NL Industries Navistar International Douglas Aircraft Unocal Weyerhaeuser Tidewater Oil Olin Dow Chemical USG Pure Oil Texasgulf American Can National Intergroup Skelly Oil Sperry Uniroyal General Foods American Cyanamid Crown Zellerbach Anaconda Gillette Allis-Chalmers United Technologies Coca-Cola Richeld Oil Bendix Caterpillar Caterpillar Jones & Laughlin Steel 3M BorgWarner Aeroquip-Vickers Monsanto Campbell Soup Sunray Oil Ingersoll-Rand Borden Chemical Lockheed Martin Liggett Group Rockwell Automation Owens-Illinois Asarco General Dynamics Continental Group Deere American Standard Reynolds Metals Youngstown Sheet & Tube Martin Marietta Nabisco Brands Amerada Hess Curtiss-Wright Esmark Scott Paper BP America Chrysler Corning Manville
- 170,000 companies closed between 2008 and 2010. More companies closed than opened in that time frame.
- 60%of Fortune 1000 companies were new to the list between 1993 & 2003.
- 50% of startups are expected to fail within the rst year.
- 90% of households in the US have a P&G product in them. Only 28% of internet users ages 18-29 have used Instagram. More than
- Built to Lastisat its core about relentless, creative drive.
- Were capitalists and were ghters, and todays David is tomorrows Goliath. Andy Dunn, Co-founder and CEO, Bonobos
- 6 tenets of building a startup that lasts.
- Founders dont live to be 100.
- Grow talent from within - and keep it.
- Reinvent your product time and time again.
- a lot on innovation, and that focus reinvent ourselves many times. We focus has allowed us to David Powell, Retired VP Marketing, 3M
- 1850 Express mail 1882 Money Orders 1891 Travelers Cheque 1919 Overseas Banking 1958 Charge Cards 1915 Travel Services 1922 Luxury Cruises 1987 Credit Cards 2003 ExpressPay 2011 Serve Pre-paid 2007 OPEN Forum
- Build from your foundation.
- Nike+ FuelBand
- Amazon Web Services
- Disrupt your own disruption.
- Most entrepreneurial ideas will sound crazy, stupid and uneconomic, and then theyll turn out to be right. -Reed Hastings, Founder and CEO, Netix
- In 1997, 100% of Netix subscriptions were DVD-based. By 2013, the number of streaming subscribers is 3 times higher than DVD subscribers in the US.
- Have conviction in your thesis.
- Googles mission is to organize the worlds information and make it universally accessible and useful.
- You want to have a future where youre expecting things to be better, not one where youre expecting things to be worse. Elon Musk, CEO/Product Architect, Tesla Motors, CEO/CTO, SpaceX
- Patagonia: Build the best product, cause no unnecessary harm, use business to inspire and implement solutions to the environmental crisis. TOMS: Were in business to change lives. It's a big job, and we don't do it alone. With our customers and Giving Partners, we're transforming everyday purchases into a force for good around the world. One for One.
- Protect and defend your brand.
- Products are made in the factory, but brands are made in the mind. Walter Landor, Founder, Landor Associates
- Zipper Linoleum Yo-Yo Zip Code Touch-tone Videotape Laundromat Thermos Dry Ice Escalator Cellophane Aspirin
- I had to pick myself up and get on with it, do it all over again, only even better this time. Sam Walton, Founder, Walmart