Happy at Work Conference; David Bonifacio - Makati, Philippines
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Happy at Work Conference; David Bonifacio - Makati, Philippines
- 1. THE HAPPINESS OF MEANING LESSONS ON ENGAGING AN EXCITING GENERATION
- 2. DAVID BONIFACIO DIRECTOR OF STRATEGY, CBTL HOLDINGS INC. MANAGING DIRECTOR, NEW LEAF VENTURES MANAGING DIRECTOR, ELEVATION PARTNERS MANAGING DIRECTOR, IDC MANPOWER PRESIDENT, ISSHO GENKI INTERNATIONAL ! TWITTER: DAVIDBONIFACIO EMAIL: DAVID@NLV.COM.PH
- 3. THE PHILIPPINES IS A PEOPLE MINE.
- 4. THERE IS VALUE WAITING TO BE UNEARTHED, SHAPED, POLISHED, SET, AND DISPLAYED.
- 5. $11,000,000,000 lost every year due to employee turnover* *United States Bureau of National Affairs
- 6. Reasons for Employee Turnover 2% 20% 15% 15% 18% 29% Career Opportunities Lack of Fit Management / Work Environment Flexibility / Scheduling Pay / Benets Job Security Turning Around Employee Turnover, Gallup Business Journal
- 7. Most of the reasons employees cited for their turnover are things that managers can influence. Turning Around Employee Turnover, Gallup Business Journal
- 8. PROBLEM #1: WE HAVE DISENGAGED WORKFORCES.
- 9. 88% NOT ENGAGED in South East Asia
- 10. `` 88% - 50 employees x 88% disengaged = 44 people - 44 people x 15 minutes wasted/day = 660 mins wasted - 11 hours x P100/hour rate = P1,100 lost per day The problem with P33,000 lost from disengagement per month
- 11. `` 88% - 50 employees x 88% disengaged = 44 people - 44 people x 15 minutes wasted/day = 660 mins wasted - 11 hours x P1000 of potential value generated = P11,000 The problem with P220,000 potential value lost per month
- 12. The lost productivity of disengaged employees costs the U.S. economy $370 Billion annually.* *National Business Research Institute
- 13. SO ENGAGE!
- 14. ASK YOURSELF: WHAT DOES AN ENGAGED WORKFORCE LOOK LIKE FOR MY COMPANY?
- 15. Achieves objectives. Comes to work early. Communicates effectively with each other Innovates and grows Attracts other excellent people to the company Generates amazing value for the company
- 16. Purpose-Driven (Meaning) ! Performance-Oriented (Results) ! Principles-Led (Values) by Doug Ready, MIT Sloan
- 17. ENGAGE ! 1. OCCUPY 2. ATTRACT 3. INVOLVE 4. CAPTURE 5. CATCH 6. PARTICIPATE 7. TAKE PART
- 18. ENGAGE: TO PLEDGE
- 19. ASK YOURSELF: WHAT PLEDGE AM I MAKING TO MY PEOPLE?
- 20. PROBLEM #2: WE DONT KNOW HOW TO ENGAGE THIS GENERATION.
- 21. Generation A Generation BGap Bridge
- 22. Albert Einstein Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
- 23. HOW TO ENGAGE THIS EXCITING GENERATION
- 24. Purpose-Driven (Meaning) ! Performance-Oriented (Results) ! Principles-Led (Values) by Doug Ready, MIT Sloan
- 25. PLEDGE #1: BE PURPOSE DRIVEN MEANING IS WHAT LEADS TO HAPPINESS
- 26. Proverbs 29:18 Where there is no revelation, people cast off restraint
- 27. BE PURPOSE DRIVEN Dene your company purpose. What are you driving towards? Dene the purpose of each person in your organization. Answer the question, Why am I here? Constantly communicate the group purpose and each individuals purpose.
- 28. BE PURPOSE DRIVEN Freedom + Ambiguity = Failure and Frustration
- 29. BE PURPOSE DRIVEN Purpose (meaning) + Clarity = Success and Fulllment
- 30. PLEDGE #2: BE PERFORMANCE ORIENTED
- 31. BE PERFORMANCE ORIENTED Dene the performance expected. Dene how this performance is connected to the company purpose and the individuals purpose. People should know how theyre judged. Measure and Develop: Measure and Develop performance. Dont just expect it. Carrots and Sticks: Reward what you want more of. Punish what you want less of.
- 32. BE PERFORMANCE ORIENTED Undened expectations = Unmet expectations Unmet expectations = Dissatisfaction
- 33. BE PERFORMANCE ORIENTED Notes on Measuring: You cant manage what you dont measure. (I have a feeling or I think dont count.) ! Measuring the wrong thing leads to wrong decisions. (Measure things that contribute to achieving the purpose.) ! Interpreting measurements wrong leads to wrong decisions. (Validate with data. Validate the data itself.) ! Use new tools to measure. Ask others how they measure. (We use tools like Asana and PayrollHero)
- 34. BE PERFORMANCE ORIENTED Notes on Developing: Start with expectations. (Company and Client Expectations) ! Dene what skills are required to meet expectations. (Ask yourself: What do we have to be good at?) ! Develop people to excel in these skills. (Training programs, exposure, books, mentors, etc.) ! Expand responsible people. Remove irresponsible people. (If theyre good, invest more. If theyre not, dont waste anymore.)
- 35. PLEDGE #3: BE PRINCIPLES-LED
- 36. BE PRINCIPLES-LED Dene your values. What are non-negotiably important to you? How should everyone aspire to behave? Defend your values. Especially from yourself. Demo your values. People follow the leader.
- 37. Purpose-Driven (Meaning) ! Performance-Oriented (Results) ! Principles-Led (Values)
- 38. NOTHING ORIGINAL.
- 39. May 22, 2014 As I continue preparations for my talk on worker happiness, I keep seeing the need to stress the importance of executors (actual people) who will push (sometimes ght) for actual change and the need to adopt new methods (actual processes, strategies, and policies), and to embrace and learn new tools (actual technologies) that all come together to provide an engaged workforce that is both productively achieving company goals and is happy and committed. Someone has to do it. That someone has to do new things. That someone doing new things needs innovative tools.
- 40. THANK YOU! EMAIL: DAVID@NLV.COM.PH TWITTER: DAVIDBONIFACIO