Gregorian Chant and its Notations – Locating the Chant – Reading the Chant – Transcripting the...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Gregorian Chant and its Notations – Locating the Chant – Reading the Chant – Transcripting the...
- Slide 1
- Gregorian Chant and its Notations Locating the Chant Reading the Chant Transcripting the Chant
- Slide 2
- Locating the Chant The Calendar Temporale Sanctorale The Liturgy Office Mass
- Slide 3
- The Calendar The Temporale The Sanctorale
- Slide 4
- The Liturgy: The Office Divine Office Matins, about 3 a.m. Lauds, at daybreak Prime, at 6 a.m. Terce, at 9 a.m. Sext, at noon None, at 3 p.m. Vespers, at twilight Compline, before bedtime Ora et labora The sanctification of the time
- Slide 5
- The Liturgy: The Mass Ordinary chants (9 th c.) 2. Kyrie 3. Gloria 9. Credo 3. Sanctus/ Benedictus 6. Agnus Dei 9. Ite missa est/ benedicamus Proper chants (7 th -8 th c.) 1. Introitus 6. Graduale 7. Alleluia 1. Offertorium 7. Communio Prayers and readings (4 th c.) I. liturgy of the Word 4. Collect 5. Epistle 8. Gospel II. liturgy of the Eucharist 2. Preface 4. Eucharistic prayer 5. Pater noster 8. Post-communion
- Slide 6
- The Liturgy: The Mass Ordinary chants Kyrie Gloria Credo Sanctus-Benedictus Agnus Dei Proper chants Introitus Graduale Alleluia Offertorium Communio
- Slide 7
- Slide 8
- Reading the Chant The Books Graduale (Mass Chant) Antiphonale (Office Chant) Modern Tools AMS CAO Modern Books
- Slide 9
- The Books & Modern Tools The Mass Graduale Antiphonale Missarum Sextuplex Ren-Jean Hesbert's incipit edition of 6 early sources of mass chants (1935) Cantus-Planus (1990s)Cantus-Planus The Office Antiphonale Corpus Antiphonalium Officii Hesbert's full text edition of 12 early sources of office chants (1963-75) CANTUS (1980s)CANTUS CAO-ECE (1988)CAO-ECE
- Slide 10
- Modern Books Graduale Romanum (Solesmes 1908) Graduale Triplex (1979) Beitrge zur Gregorianik since 21 (1996) Antiphonale Monasticum (Solesmes 1934) Psalterium monasticum (1981) Liber hymnarius cum invitatoriis & aliquibus responsoriis (1982) Palographie musicale (Solesmes 1889-) Facsimile series Liber usualis (Solesmes 1896-)
- Slide 11
- St. Peter in Solesmes: A Benedictine abbey, it was the centre of the revival of Gregorian chant in the 19th and 20th centuries. A priory existed at Solesmes from 1010 to 1791; in 1833 Dom Prosper Gueranger (180575) revived Benedictine life there (cf. Peter Wagner, BGr)
- Slide 12
- Private Collection (MS du Mont- Renaud). Gradual and antiphoner from northern France. Text probably written in mid-10th century, neumes added late 10th or early 11th century (PalMus 16 ).
- Slide 13
- Graduale Triplex (1979)
- Slide 14
- Transcription Neumes Notation in campo aperto adiastematic non metrical St Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, 359. Cantatorium from St Gallen; dated very early 10th century (before 920). Neumatic notation with significative letters. Cantatorium contains only the soloists chants: graduals, alleluias and tracts (PalMus 2nd ser., 2 ).
- Slide 15
- The Notation adiastematic diastematic gothic roman/modern since 13 th C. The Words Carmina scripturarum (1907) On-line Bibles
- Slide 16
- Excursus: Chant Repertories The legend of Pope Gregory the Great depicted in the Hartker Antiphoner St Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, 39091 (Hartker Antiphoner). Antiphoner and tonary copied by Hartker, monk of St Gallen; dated 9801011. Neumes with significative letters.
- Slide 17
- Centres of Scholar cantorum and Scriptorium
- Slide 18
- Western Chant Repertories Mozarabic (Old Spanish) Gallican Gregorian (Frankish-Roman) West-Frankish East-Frankish Old Roman (Urban-Roman) Ambrosian (Milanese) Beneventan Ravenna Aquileia Eastern Chant Repertories Byzantine Syrian Coptic (Ancient Egyptian) Georgian Armenian Ethiopian Russian/Slavonic
- Slide 19
- Basic Literature Crocker, Richard L. An Introduction to Gregorian Chant. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2000. Crocker, Richard L., and David Hiley. The Early Middle Ages to 1300. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Harper, John. The Forms and Orders of Western Liturgy from the 10 th to the 18 th Century. Oxford: Clarendon, 1991. Hiley, David. Western Plainchant : A Handbook. Oxford: Clarendon, 1993. Hughes, Andrew. Medieval Manuscripts for Mass and Office : A Guide to Their Organization and Terminology. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1982. Treitler, Leo. With Voice and Pen : Coming to Know Medieval Song and How It Was Made. New York: Oxford University Press, 2003