great planners are schizo
Embed Size (px)
Armando Turco (Head of Account Management, BBH New York; @armandot) and I gave this talk at BBH New York's Griffin Farley Search for Beautiful Minds event.
Transcript of great planners are schizo
- GREAT PLANNERS ARE SCHIZO
- THE WINGMAN
- THE TRUTH SEEKERS The conscience Open to anything (vs. clients) Impartial on work (vs. creatives) Liberated from agendas (vs. account people)
- THE LINCHPIN ><
- GREAT PLANNERS ARE SCHIZO
- INSIDE our job is to know our clients businesses, our teams, the process & the rules through and through
- our job is to bring the oxygen. divergent thinking. perspective. OUTSIDE
- CITY COUNTRY
- CITY youll probably live in a city. cities are awesome. soon over 50% of the worlds population will live in them. cities have cultures and norms and rituals that are awesome. go cities.
- a lot of people dont live in cities. yet, they have valid cultures, rituals, perspectives and norms (protip: its really hard to nd those in one-way- glass focus groups). being smug about yover states is a stupid thing for a planner to do. COUNTRY
- BEING SOMEONES BITCH BEING A BITCH
- BEING SOMEONES BITCH you are in a service industry. client says jump, you say how high? you are on a team. if the creatives are in a crisis, you buy them cake and work with them until they have it worked out (even if you explained it to them ten times already). your account person needs unusual help with a meeting (ie making you read a script about cleaning testicles)? you do it.
- the client isnt being objective about their brand? you need to try to x that. the creative is off-brief? you need to speak up. your account man isnt giving you enough time to write a brief? raise the ag. BEING A BITCH
- COLLABORATORLONE WOLF
- COLLABORATOR you are a creator. planning requires a creative process. but to get to a smart solution, youll need perspectives, opinions and pressure tests against other thinkers. drop the ego and let that happen.
- you are a creator. planning requires a creative process. a creative process requires alone time, mulling, sitting with a blank page in front of you and ultimately taking on the responsibility the brief. dont be afraid of that. LONE WOLF
- NERD ahhh data. its everywhere and no modern planning process is complete without diving into the spreadsheets and studies and databases and nerding out.
- ahhh stories. the stuff of magic, the pathway to connecting with people. no modern planning process is complete without a bit of dreaming and what ifing. POET
- KNOW EVERYTHING KNOW ONE THING
- KNOW EVERYTHING planning requires thoroughness. you have to bring it all in - the books, the studies, the conversations, the visits into other worlds, the reports, the data.
- you must, must, must be able to crystallize your thinking into simple, clear, logical ows and statements. a great planning deliverable doesnt lay out everything you know; it only reveals the things that everyone else must know. KNOW ONE THING
- LOVE BIG STORIES LOVE THE DETAILS
- LOVE BIG STORIES nd the big story of the brand. know it through and through. be audacious with it.
- pull that story all the way through to the tweets and the words on the back of the package. LOVE THE DETAILS
- a few things no matter what...
- BE BRAVE
- BE POSITIVE
- thank you