Great Alexander the - John Pollard Digital Portfolio Was Alexander the Great’s empire really a...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Great Alexander the - John Pollard Digital Portfolio Was Alexander the Great’s empire really a...
Alexander the Great What’s in a name?
Philip II ● King of Macedonia ● Created a professional army
○ Used a phalanx ● Conquered Greece ● Assassinated
○ But by whom?
Phalanx ● Rows of soldiers ● 21 foot pikes ● Effective against
Early Life ● Fought with Philip ● Taught by Aristotle ● Maybe assassinated
Conquests ● “Master of Greece” ● Defeated Darius III
to conquer Persia in 331 B.C.
● Pushed towards India ● Admired Achilles ● Gordion Knot
The End of the Earth ● Made it to India
○ Enslaved and slaughtered his enemies
● Army forced him to turn back ○ Made it to Indus River ○ Returned to Susa ○ Withdrew from public life
● Died in Babylon after battling a fever for 10 days
Legacy ● Empire broken into 3 kingdoms
○ Macedonia, Egypt, and Syria ● Accomplished:
○ Spread Greek culture ■ Alexandrias ■ Hellenistic culture
influenced Western Civilization
○ Cultural integration ○ God-king
Questions? ● Was Alexander the Great’s empire really a “one world”
empire? ● What factors led to the breakup of his empire? ● How has Hellenistic culture influenced Western
Civilization? ● Was Alexander the Great really great? Why or why not?
○ Compare his actions to the list we made at the beginning of class.