Good Friday Quiz - Prelims
Embed Size (px)
The preliminary round of the Good Friday Quiz organized by Inquizzitive, NIT Rourkela on Good Friday 2014.
Transcript of Good Friday Quiz - Prelims
- 1)** The tale goes that in 1791 Richard Daly, manager of the Theatre Royal in Dublin bet his friends that within 48 hours he could make a nonsense word be spoken throughout Dublin specifically, a word having no meaning nor derived from any known language. His friends took him up on the bet. So Daly sent out his employees to write the word X in chalk on doors, windows, and walls throughout Dublin. Back in the 1790s, X didn't mean what it means today. It was a derogatory term meaning an oddball or eccentric. Or, as the London Magazine put it, "one who thinks, speaks, or acts differently from the rest of the world in general. ID X.
- ID the personality! 2 )
- SHAH RUKH KHAN
- 3) Shadow of the Cobra is a famous TV series based on the life of which infamous personality.
- CHARLES SOBHRAJ
- 4)** Nicky, Prince Albert, Atlantic, Ediety and Christensen. These are various types of what?
- TIE KNOTS
- 5) This is an icon of a software. ID the software.
- HTML 5
- 6) This is a minimalistic poster af a movie. ID the movie.
- 7) Sometimes the computer shows that the upload or download speed is x Kbps. Expand Kbps.
- KILO BITS PER SECOND
- 8)** Isaac Asimov admired a number of his contemporaries, in particular fellow science-fiction author and science writer Arthur C. Clarke, with whom he entered into the lighthearted X which stipulated that Clarke was free to refer to himself as the best science fiction writer in the world (Asimov being second-best), provided he admitted that Asimov was the best science writer in the world (Clarke being second-best). ).
- Treaty of Park Avenue
- 9)** X Day is celebrated on March 14. It will have special significance on March 14, 2015 at 9:26:53 a.m. and p.m. ID X.
- 10) This company was originally founded in Switzerland in 1872 and was named after the founders surname. Since 1947 it is owned by Nestle. It produces items like instant stocks, ketchups, sauces. Name the company.
- Association Board (IFAB) meeting of 15 June 1924 authorised it for the following season. This is called an Olympic goal or Olympic kick, or olimpico in Latin America. The name dates from 2 October 1924, when Argentina's Cesreo Onzari scored against Uruguay. The first in England was by Huddersfield Town's Billy Smith on 11 October 1924. The world record holder is Dejan Petkovi with 8 goals. It remains a rare occurrence, often accomplished by fluke rather than intent, and with the goalkeeper usually blamed for an error. The only Olympic goal in the World Cup was scored for Colombia by Marcos Coll, beating goalkeeper Lev Yashin in a 44 draw with the Soviet Union in1962.
- SCORING A GOAL DIRECTLY FROM CORNER
- 12) ID the two famous physicists. The person on the left passed away on Jan 29, this year at the age of 94.
- ROBERT RESNICK and DAVID HALLIDAY
- 13) These 3notes were reintroduced by RBI in 1954, i.e. after it came under the Govt. of India in 1949.
- These notes were again demonetised in 1978. What are the monetary values of these notes?
- 1000, 5000 and 10000!
- 14) This google-doodle was published on Dec 27,2013 on the 442nd birthday of a famous scientist. Name the scientist.
- Johannes Kepler
- 15) What is this wicket system known as and in which cricket league was it used for the first time?
- ZING WICKET SYSTEM and BIG BASH LEAGUE
- 16) ID the company.
- 17) I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavorable omen. "No," he replied, "it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways. ID the I and he.
- SRINIVASA RAMANUJAN and G.H.HARDY
- 18) ID the historical event .
- THE CONSTRUCTION OF BERLIN WALL
- 19) During Oct 2013, Ronaldo celebrated in this way after scoring against Sevilla. Whom is he saluting?
- FIFA PRESIDENT SEPP BLATTER
- 20)** They are 13 of the 14 children of Shankaranarayana Manja from Kargal in Shimoga, and, with a collective age of over 880 years. Why they are recently in news?
- They are now staking their claim to be the oldest family in the world, and make a new Guinness World Record.