Garter Snakes By Tatum Coutu. Why are people afraid of snakes? Why are people so afraid of snakes if...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Garter Snakes By Tatum Coutu. Why are people afraid of snakes? Why are people so afraid of snakes if...
- Slide 1
- Garter Snakes By Tatum Coutu
- Slide 2
- Why are people afraid of snakes? Why are people so afraid of snakes if there are no poisonous in Rhode Island? Is it because people think theyre slimly or because people are scared that they will bite them? People are scared of snakes because lack of knowledge, as well as movies and television. Once they were around them and learned about them, that fear turns into an interest.
- Slide 3
- What do Garter Snakes look like? It has yellow stripes down its back and one on either side. they have alternating black spots on a brown body. They have keeled scales, which means it has small bumps down its back. The Garter Snake is about 18 to 26 inches long and growth continues though out life. They mature around their second or third year.
- Slide 4
- What do Garter Snakes eat? They eat almost all small animals like earthworms, amphibians, leeches, and insects. To kill their prey they bite it is not very strong so its saliva is toxic to small animals but it is not strong enough to kill humans or larger animals.
- Slide 5
- What is a Garter Snakes Habitat? You can find them near ponds or rivers, in tall grass, or in a field or forest. They are highly adaptable. You will find them where there is hiding places because it keeps them protected. They are very common in Rhode Island.
- Slide 6
- How do Garter Snakes reproduce? Garter Snakes mate very early in the spring. The males will leave and then wait for the females. The males will give off pheromones to attract the females. If females dont find the proper partner they will not mate that spring. Garter snakes can have about 12 to 40 babies at a time.
- Slide 7
- How do Garter Snakes get though the winter? They will hibernate with other snakes to stay warm. They have dens under larger rocks, other mammals holes, or even in basements. They dont lose weight in the winter. They need the temp to be above freezing so they wont die. They hibernate when it gets too cold and they wake up around March or April.
- Slide 8
- How do Garter Snakes protect themselves? There first line of defense is hiding or using camouflage. They will release a foul smelling odor. If they do bite witch is rare their saliva is toxic to small animals but it is not strong enough to kill larger animals or humans. If they need to they will flee to water. They will coil to make their selves larger so fewer predators will attack them.
- Slide 9
- Please do not hurt snakes! Snakes are amazing creatures they are very misunderstood. Many people kill them out of fear but, they are completely harmless. Snake are more scared of you than you are of them. Snakes really incredible animals so please dont hurt them.