Filling and bridging the gap - Combining and linking ... Pan Baltic...¢ further developed...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Filling and bridging the gap - Combining and linking ... Pan Baltic...¢ further developed...
Filling and bridging the gap - Combining and linking territorial
monitoring and land-based spatial data to the sea
Pan Baltic Scope workshop on Social and Economic Analyses (Activity 1.2.5), 13. December 2018
Sören Eliasen, Elin Cedergren, Andrea Morf, Gustaf Norlén, Michael Kul & Eeva Turunen, Nordregio
- Why discuss Territorial Monitoring (TeMo) here today?
- What is TeMo?
- TeMo in the Pan Baltic Scope Project & moving beyond TeMo
- LSI Data Inventory & Sharing Table
Why discuss TeMo here today? WORK PLAN:
- Investigate TeMo how can be applied and further developed within the Pan Baltic Scope project
- Updating data & indicator sets
- Looking for synergies between Nordregio & HELCOM plus national data
- Potentially common data & maps with WP 1.3 Land-Sea Integration
- Activity 1.1.2 FI-AX-SE case - helps national authorities to include social and economic impact assessment in MSP process and decision making
What is Territorial Monitoring (TeMo)?
ESPON BSR TeMo Territorial monitoring in the Baltic Sea Region
• Monitoring system mapping progress towards economic, social and territorial cohesion in the BSR
• To support the implementation of key BSR and EU policy documents:
• Territorial Agenda 2020 (TA 2020)
• EU 2020 Strategy
• EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region (EU BSR - Strategy)
• VASAB Long Term Perspective (VASAB LTP)
• BSR TeMo is designed to address general policy objectives but also to reflect territorial challenges of the BSR.
• Based on several indicators with data on regional level (NUTS2/NUTS3) - harmonised for comparability
ESPON BSR TeMo – Territorial monitoring in the Baltic Sea Region
Follow-up Projects: Updating indicators, broader scope
• ESPON Up-TeMo: Focus urban areas • TeMoRi: TeMo related to the BSR Strategy • On-going: ESPON European and Macro-
Regional Territorial Monitoring Tool (including an updated TeMo) http://bsr.espon.eu
• New project BT2050 Territorial scenarios for the BSR (evaluation of HELCOM Longterm Perspective & Scenarios)
Nordregio Interesting map-links Links to:
Nordregio - check out arctic/urban/regional development and marine planning
Nordmap: new map feature
Tutorial how to use Nordmap
http://www.nordregio.org/ http://nordmap.se/ https://goo.gl/images/fn3skC
TeMo in the Pan Baltic Scope Project and moving beyond TeMo
TeMo & Pan Baltic Scope Scoping within 1.2.5 and WP 1.3 on LSI & FIAXSE Case => what are useful domains & indicators from TeMo for Pan Baltic Scope, activities / WPs? What do we have, what do planners need?
Present TeMo domains &
indicators to ESA group (1.2.5
working meeting Sept 18).
Synergies & linkages
Nordregio, HELCOM &
national data (under way)
Identify interest in sub-cases of
Presentation FIAXSE/LSI Workshop 16.10.2018
Sharing Table, Data & maps
for cases/ WP 1.3 and act. 1.2.5
2019 No official deliverables
Thinking within & across Activity 1.2.5 and WP 1.3
o What data exist / what do we have in our organizations?
o Gap analysis incl. what easy to get / what is complicated?
o What is relevant & what not? o Physical & geographical conditions / ecosystems &
uses; interactions; conflicts & uses; hotspots.. o Scale and level..
Nordregio GIS team has started providing overview over indicators and meta data available.
Output: a way of structuring and sharing this knowledge as well as make it feasible “LSI data inventory and sharing table”.
Interesting for an LSI perspective => Mapping exercise & survey in FIAXSE
1. What data exist & where
2. Relevant questions to ask & interesting issues to develop analyses for
3. Prioritise – if many issues arise
4. Necessary information & availability
5. Develop perspectives, data and methods to produce planning evidence relevant to think across sea land boundary
6. Dimensions: uses & environment (!), governance (?), stakeholder process (?)
LSI Data Inventory & Sharing Table
Activity 1.2.5 & WP 1.3 “output”: LSI Data Inventory & Sharing Table
….. structuring & sharing knowledge & data and make it feasible “LSI data inventory and sharing template”.
How can territorial monitoring & data sharing be applied practically
A process started that builds upon TeMo data, but can also integrate other interesting indicators and data.
Nordregio GIS team has started providing available indicators and meta data.
Topics and sub-topics identified Linking available data with the topics
Tool for planners, possibility to grade need and relevance
To be shared between partners
Feasibility cross-activity and cross-cases ESA, Case Studies / WP 1.3, WP 1.2 etc.
LSI topics: Data inventory and sharing template Overarching planning topic
area (not necessari ly s ingle
Description in space and time
(e.g. Pan Baltic, Sea Basin,
Local/administrative units or
NUTS level or km/ decade,
annual, month, etc.)
Description of form of
data: e.g. quantitative,
square, line, point
How important the perspective/data is
and for whom (country/ organisation/
effort needed to
LSI topics: Data inventory and sharing template
Main topic Subtopics Indicators Scale/resolution of data Form of data Planners' needs/urgency Availability
Transport & Infrastructure Accessiblity Road network Vektor Good availabilty for Nordic countries (including Åland), Open Street map data for Pan-Baltic are which is not that high quality
Types/modes of transport Accessibility by mode of transport: road, rail, airplane and seaVektor
Seasonality & DemographyDemographic vulnerability in the coastal municipalitiesRegional/ local administrative unit (municipality)Quanti tati ve data Nordregio database would need some updates (especially if data for the hole BSR is desired)
Demographic vulnerability by age groups Regional/ local administrative unit (municipality) Quantitative data Nordregio database would need some updates (especially if data for the hole BSR is desired)
Other services Service of general interest Regional Quanitative data This data (and maps) exist from the ESPON Profecy project
Ports (commercial, non-commercial)Location of Ports By geo location Point data Eurostat 2013, possibly other sources
Ports & local economy Port as an employer as in the NACE categories (stati sti cal classification ofd economic activities in the European communicty) Potential NACE categories: Water transport, Cargo The handling, Sea and coastal passenger water transport, sea and coastal freight water transport Regional/ local administrative unit Quantitative data How detailed data can be gathered at muncipal level? Has to be checked
Annual exports/Import flows (in tons)By ports Quantitative data Case study level good availability
Cash flows/ TurnoverBy ports Quantitative data Must be collected individually by port (Time will depend how large area we want to analyse) Case study level good availability
Ports & population in close proximityPopulation potential within buffer area (e.g. 50km circle)Quantitative data & spatial analyse
Population density in the coastal municipalities(1km) grid data Raster data Grid data for nordic countries (Nodregio database) / Pan-Balti c ESA Joint Research Center, European Commission
Fisheries & Aquaculture Kinds of fisheries
Legend: Degree of urgency //effort needed
Indispensable // high effort (months)
Very important // medium (weeks)
Important // small (days/hours)
Good to have // available