Embed Size (px)
A talk about dogs in general, and dog celebrities in specific.
Transcript of Famous Dogs
- 1. Famous Dogs
- 2. Toto (from the Wizard of Oz - 1939)
- 3. Old Yeller - 1957
- 4. Lassie Probably the most famous dog in American culture is Lassie. First appearing in Lassie Come Home in 1943, Lassie went on to star in 11 movies and several television shows. Most Americans know Lassie from the hit TV show Lassie which aired from 1954 1973, focusing on Lassie and Timmy, a Midwestern farm boy. Every week, Timmy got into a dangerous situation, and Lassie help him survive each time.
- 5. CollieThe Collie is a long coated breed ofmedium to large size dog that wasfirst bred in Scotland.Originally, Collies helped shepherdsherd sheep. They are known to bevery intelligent and loyal dogs.
- 6. DalmatianThe Dalmatian is a breed of dog whose roots areoften said to trace back to Dalmatia, a regionof Croatia in south-eastern Europe. The Dalmatian isnoted for its unique black- or brown-spotted coatand was mainly used as a carriage dog in its earlydays. While they are very beautiful dogs, thebreeding process has caused many health problemsto be present in this breed. For example, 70% of allDalmatians have hearing problems.
- 7. A carriage dog
- 8. Chihuahua The Chihuahua (Spanish: Chihuahueo) is the smallest breed of dog. This dog is named for the state of Chihuahua in Mexico. Chihuahuas come in a wide variety of sizes, head shapes, colors and coat lengths. Most Chihuahuas are between 15 and 30 cm tall. Because of this, some Chihuahuas have what psychologists call a Napoleon complex.
- 9. Chihuahuas are jerks
- 10. Pit Bull(American Staffordshire Terrier) Several different, closely-related breeds of dogs are known as Pit Bulls. They are call this because they were originally bred as fighting dogs, and the place where dogs fight is called a pit. Pit Bulls are very muscular dogs with very large mouths. Though many are gentle animals, Pit Bulls have been known to attack people and other animals. For this reason, many jurisdictions restrict pit bulls, including Ontario, Canada, Miami, Florida, and Denver, Colorado.
- 11. What do you think?Are you afraid of big dogs? Do you thinkthey are dangerous?What do you think of breed-specificlegislation? Is it unfair? Is it a good way toprotect people?Is judging a dog based on its appearancethe same as racism? Why or why not?
- 12. PoodleThe Poodle is a breed of dog fromFrance. Originally bred as a hunting dog,the Poodle is regarded as the secondmost intelligent breed of dog after theBorder Collie. The poodle breed is foundofficially in toy, miniature, and standardsizes, with many coat colors. Though the Poodle is naturally a shaggy dog with curly hair, many owners like to have their dogs hair dyed and cut into decorative patterns.
- 13. French BulldogThe French bulldog is a small breed of domestic dog,related to the English bulldog and American bulldog. Theyare well known for their gentle personalities. You can tella French bulldog from its round, bat-like ears.Although French bulldogs are very cute, because of theirshort, flat noses, it can be very difficult for them tobreathe, especially in hot weather.Despite these healthproblems, many breederscontinue to breed dogs withflat faces for their appearance.
- 14. Doberman PinscherThe Doberman Pinscher or simply Doberman, is abreed of domestic dog originally developed around1890 by Karl Friedrich Louis Dobermann. They areused in many countries as guard dogs. The Dobermans ears and tail are naturally long. However, many owners have their dogs tail docked or cut off when the dog is a puppy. A Dobermans ears are also often cropped, or cut and straightened at an early age as well.
- 15. What do you think? What do you think about people who dye their dogs hair in strange colors? Do the dogs like it? Do you think that it is okay to dock a dogs tail and crop its ears? What do you think about dog breeding? Is it worth the risk of health problems to create a beautiful dog?
- 16. What is this place?
- 17. Dog meat is eaten in many countries.Dog meat is consumed in countriesall over the world including Korea,China, Switzerland, Ghana, Nigeria,the Philippines, Vietnam,Indonesia, and many parts ofPolynesia.Dog meat was also eaten in manyparts of the West until thebeginning of the 20th century. [ Grande Boucherie Canine, Paris, 1910 ]
- 18. What do you think? What do you think about using dogs as food? Is it right for everyone, no one, or should people be allowed to choose? Have you ever tried dog? Is it delicious? What are some foods eaten in other countries that you would have a problem eating?