Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Famous artists
- 1. MichelangeloPainter and sculptorSistine chapelObsessed with human form
- 2. Leonardo da Vinci Italian Renaissance Artist, scientist,inventor The Last Supper
- 3. Claude Monet French Impressionist Grandfather of theImpressionistmovement. Obsessed with light
- 4. Edgar Degas Famous for hispaintings of balletdancers. Possible love affairwith Mary Cassatt
- 5. Mary Cassatt American Impressionist One of the few femaleartist at the time. Famous for paintingmothers with children Possible love affair withDegas
- 6. Auguste Renoir French Impressionist Beautiful girls, women,rich lifestyle Continued to paintdespite health issueslater in life.
- 7. Vincent Van Gogh Dutch post-impressionist Mental Issues andalcohol abuse Cut off ear Never sold a paintingwhile alive
- 8. Paul Gaugin French post-impressionist Settled in Tahiti-oftenpainted the native girls Bouts of depressionand alcohol abuse
- 9. Henri Toulouse-Lautrec French Very sick as a child-leads to crippling Painted the theatricalnight life of Paris Suffered fromalcoholism.
- 10. Henri Matisse French-Fauvist(Fauve=wild beast) Master of bright color Paper cut collages inaddition to paintings
- 11. Jacob Lawrence African Artist-closest tocubism Harlem Renaissance(1920s-1930s) African Americanexperience and history
- 12. Marc Chagall Famous for art andstained glass work Russian who came tothe U.S. after theHolocaust Colorful Cubist withreligious themes
- 13. Jackson Pollock American AbstractArtist Drip method Bi-polar andalcoholism
- 14. Pablo Picasso One of the greatestinfluences of 20thcentury art. Co-founded the cubistmovement Notorious womanizer-painted his wives andmistresses.
- 15. Salvador Dali Spanish Surrealist Dream-like settings Eccentric and attentiongrabbing behavior.
- 16. Frida Kahlo Mexican artist Surrealist elements Tragic accident as ayoung girl Married to artist DiegoRivera
- 17. Georgia OKeeffe American Southwest Flowers and cow skulls Married to AlfredStieglitz
- 18. Diego Rivera Mexican Realist andMuralist Politically influenced-fought for the plight ofMigrant workers Married to Frida Kahlo
- 19. Edward Hopper American Realist Depressed and lonelythemes Alienation portrayed inart work
- 20. Norman Rockwell Mr. Americana Wholesome images ofAmerica and its people Saturday Evening Post-he designed the covers.
- 21. Andy Warhol American Pop Artist Inspired by pop cultureand celebrities Famous quote-In thefuture, everybody willbe famous for 15minutes.
- 22. Roy Lichenstein American pop artist Ben-Day dots Comic art
- 23. Hokusai Japanese artist andprint maker Worked under manydifferent names Created 100s of pieces
- 24. AT LEAST (1) BOOK AT LEAST (2) ONLINE SOURCES: SC Discus and websites.Reminder: evaluate sites for Authority Accuracy Objectivity Currency Coverage