Expansion Through 2016. 6. 24.¢ Buyers think things are worth less, & tend to...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Expansion Through 2016. 6. 24.¢ Buyers think things are worth less, & tend to...
Expansion Through VC Moo Natavudh,
Venture Partner at 500 Startups
2.What you need to know about VCs
• Who is the buyer and who is the seller?
• Picking a VC
• The VC mindset – how do these weirdos’ brains work?
• What do VCs look for?
• The VC process – why does it take so long?
• What makes for a great VC meeting?
3. Fundraising Process
4. What’s going on in Asia
Ookbee Story and
What you need to know about VCs
Who is the buyer and who is the seller? Picking a VC The VC mindset – how do these weirdos’ brains work? What do VCs look for? The VC process – why does it take so long? What makes for a great VC meeting? Lots of other questions you have…
Buyers and Sellers
A deal is a fundamental disagreement about value Buyers think things are worth less, & tend to minimize price Sellers think things are worth more & tend to maximize price
But, venture investing is not a zero sum game A long-term relationship, like a marriage
Pick investors that suit you, know your space, invest at your stage, etc.
The VC Process
/ 500 TukTuks: Local Investment Partners / Krating Poonpol
The title “Partner” is used in accordance with customary business practice in the venture capital industry and does not indicate a legal status in a partnership.
Natavudh Pungcharoenpong (Moo)
• Successful serial tech entrepreneur and
seasoned angel investor in Thailand with over
15 years experience in the Thai startup
• CEO/Founder of Ookbee. Raised over $7M
from InVent and Transcosmos and built
Ookbee into the largest eBook store in SEAsia
with a valuation exceeding $70M within only
• CEO/Founder of ITWorks, a leading software
development company in Thailand with over
$2M in annual revenue.
• 8 investments in Thailand in the past 12
• Ex-Global Lead Marking Manager of Google
• Ex-Head of Asia Pacific Quantitative
Marketing, Google Asia
• Founder of Disrupt (No. 1 non-Telco Startup
Incubator Program in Thailand)
• Disrupt graduates include Priceza &
• Director of Founder Institute, Bangkok
• Advisor to ClaimDi
Invite-only tour for investors and founders.
Learn about global trends, meet international
companies, and gain insight/access to foreign
CONFERENCES + EVENTS1 GEEKS ON A PLANE COMMUNITY
More than 50 events with 300-1,000 attendees per event for a total reach of over 25,000 people in person + digital channels
Design, technology, marketing, and product experts from top companies in Silicon Valley and elsewhere.
From 40+ countries around the world, provide peer review and feedback on products, industry verticals, platforms, etc.
1. Conferences and Events are produced by 500 Startups Incubator, L.L.C. 500 TukTuks does not participate in any revenue generated by these activities. CONFIDENTIAL /
Proprietary Community Platforms /
Legal review Partner approval
• Product or service solves a problem for a specific target customer
• Capital-efficient business; operational at less than $1M in external financing
• Scalable internet-based distribution (search, social, mobile) or proven ability to scale sales
• Simple revenue model: transactions, subscriptions, affiliate
• Functional prototype before investing (or previous product success)
• Measurable traction: engaged users, some revenue, and attractive unit economics
• Cross-functional team with design, engineering and marketing expertise
• Operating directly or indirectly in Thailand
GENERAL INVESTMENT CRITERIA
TYPICAL DECISION-MAKING PROCESS
Warm lead from
reviews opportunity Legal review
Not every investment will meet all investment criteria nor utilize the typical decision-making process described on this slide. CONFIDENTIAL /
Investment Criteria /