Digital Identities: Social Networks and Me
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Digital Identities: Social Networks and Me
- 1. Digital Identities:Social networks and Me@BeerBergmanDistinguished Lecture SeriesSciences Po Paris // Reims campusOctober 1st, 2014
- 2. NSFWMistakes allowed
- 3. (introduction): Avatars, formats & filters1. Selfies, avatars: selfportraits 2.0?2. Me as a collection3. Some critical viewpoints
- 4. In computing, an avatar (usually translated from Sanskrit asincarnation) is the graphical representation of the user or the user'salter ego or character. It may take either a three-dimensional form, asin games or virtual worlds, or a two-dimensional form as an icon inInternet forums and other online communities.It is an object representing the user. The term "avatar" can also referto the personality connected with the screen name, or handle, of anInternet user.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(computing)
- 5. Avatars: formats & filtres The first four lines of a work of art are its outside boundaries Matisse
- 6. Avatars, formats & filtres
- 7. It is probably no mere historicalaccident that the word person,in its first meaning,is a mask. Erving Goffman citing Park, The Presentation of Self. 1959
- 8. Authenticorfake?
- 9. Selfies, avatars :
- 10. Cultural differences?
- 11. http://thecarceralnet.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/selfie-bingo/
- 12. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qJAPLypDnE
- 13. #HolidaySelfie
- 14. For symbolic interactionists, the self is first and foremost a reflexive process ofsocial interaction. The reflexive process refers to the uniquely human capacity tobecome an object to one's self, to be both subject and object The self conceived in this way allows for agency, creative action, and thepossibility of emancipatory political movement. (Just as important, this configuration is not inconcsistent with new postmodernapproaches to self and power. (Peter L. Caller, The sociology of the self)
- 15. This man, that we may call homo poeticus, endowed with a narrative andmultiple identity, is both auctor and histrio, dramaturgue and actor.The fictive histories he is telling himself but specially to the otherscontribute to consolidating the neoliberal mans projected me ,an augmented me, the refined me, performing as he is, fictif,a social fake .http://fr.slideshare.net/louisem/de-lidentit-la-prsence
- 16. The public person is not made in theimage of a unique self;rather, an interpretive pictureof unique self is madein the image of the public person Cahill, SE. 1988. Toward a sociology of the person.
- 17. Me as a collection
- 18. The individual as a collection of traces Declarative traces Behavioral traces Documentary traces Reputational traceshttp://fr.slideshare.net/louisem/de-lidentit-la-prsence
- 19. The individual as a collection of traces : declarative traceshttp://ow.ly/C2ng4
- 20. The individual as a collection of traces : behavioral traceshttps://www.flickr.com/photos/caseorganic/5352881586/
- 21. The individual as a collection of traces : documentary traces
- 22. The individual as a collection of traces : reputational traceshttps://twitter.com/wef/status/499072828587909121
- 23. http://webscience.blogs.usj.edu.lb/2597/les-identites-numeriques-seminaire-avec-d-cardon/
- 24. Social capitalTrustReputationStatus?
- 25. Reputation, Trust What people say about you. E-reputation What people say about you online. Strategic online self-presentation plays an enormous role in increasing onesSocial status,how one is viewed both online and off.
- 26. Status Ones value and importance in the eyes of the world .Status is what your peers think about you, whether they hold youin esteem or contempt, and the privileges that accord from thisposition.Status is a powerful tool that reveals the values and assumptionsshared by a group ; it shows power and dynamics and the limits ofegalitarian idealsAlice E. Marwick, Status update: Celebrity, Publicity & Branding in the Social Media Age (2013)
- 27. Strategic online self-representation ?Personal Branding?My personal Web Strategie?Me as a collection of persons?
- 28. Me as a collection of persons Authenticity and Being yourself , advice that is emphasized over and overagain in social media discourse, have become marketing strategies that encourageinstrumental emotional labor / Alice E. Marwick
- 29. A neoliberal perspective insists onseeing all social actors, be they people,communities or nation-states,in terms of corporate individualisma flexible bundle of skills that reflexively managesoneself as though the self was a businessAlice E. Marwick, Status update: Celebrity, Publicity & Branding in the Social Media Age (2013)
- 30. Me as a collection of persons Photographer
- 31. How can we,as individuals and as communities,develop nuanced and multiple ways toexplore how to behave well? Ilana Gershon, Neoliberal Agency
- 32. (neoliberal culture)Strategic online self-representationReflexivity and development of self(. culture)What alternatives can we develop?
- 33. Questions?Thank you for your attention.