Dear Candy Gourlay What Should I Read
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Dear Candy Gourlay What Should I Read
- 1. Dear Candy Gourlay,I loved Tall Story. What should I read next?
- 2. Well, it reallydepen ds onwh at youli ked aboutT all Story
- 3. If you liked thebasketball and theunderdog story youmight like TheAbsolutely True Diary of a PartTime Indian by Sherman Alexie Indian teen with tough life dares to leave reservation, gets beat up, makes friends, plays basketball.
- 4. If you liked thebrother looking outfor a sibling youmight like FifteenDays Without aHead by DaveCousinsMum disappears, boy keeps SocialServices away by dressing up as her.Little bro thinks hes a dog.
- 5. If you liked the bitabout beingdifferent as inREALLY differentyou might likeWonder by R J Palacio Hes funny, smart and brave but hes got no face and now hes got to attend real school. How will he cope?
- 6. If you liked theloveable hero insearch of familyyou might likeBud Not Buddy byChristopher PaulCurtisBud (not Buddy) is in search of hisdad in Depression Era America.Theres a big surprise waiting at theend of his journey.
- 7. If you liked TallStorys feisty, bad-temperedheroine you might also likeBoy Overboard by Morris Gleitzman Boy dreams of playing for Manchester United. Problem is, his burka-wearing sister has better football skills than he does which in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan could be fatal.
- 8. If you were fascinated by the inevitable calamity you might likeNot the End of theWorld by Geraldine McCaughreanNoahs Ark ... But this ood is atsunami and the teller of the tale is agirl with many questions. Powerfulstuff and beautiful prose.
- 9. If you enjoyed thestory within astory with amagical twist youmight like Holes by LouisSacharStanley Yelnats goes to a camp wherebad boys dig to become good. But hisdigging turns up some big surprises.
- 10. If you liked the tallhero of Tall Storyyou might likeCosmic by FrankCottrell-BoyceBoy is so tall he manages to fool adealer into letting him test drive a car.But is signing up for a trip to outerspace a step too far?
- 11. If you liked that itwas funny andsad at the sametime, you mightlike Unhooking theMoon by Gregory Hughes The Rat is a football-playing, gangster- baiting 10 year old girl (yes, another gutsy heroine!). Shes on a road trip with her brother Bob to nd a new life.
- 12. Thats plenty to startwith. No time to waste!G et reading!
- 13. candygourlay.com