Current icelandic weddings
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Current icelandic weddings
Current Icelandic Weddings
• Icelandic wedding drink, Mead.– Way back in the Viking era it was a legal requirement to
drink Mead for a full ‘moon’ or 30 days after a marriage.(honeymoon)
• Traditional Icelandic wedding cake– called Kransakaka– almond in flavor, made of ascending rings to form a cone. It is filled with chocolates or
• Friday – goddess Frigga
• Wedding traditions of the Lutheran church (98% of Icelandic population
Kransakaka• Make sure that you do the final kneading of the dough in a large pot
over low heat. It´s a pain, but it´s worth the work. The heat does wonders for the sugar, resulting in moist kransekage with the most amazing crust.
• 6 egg whites2 kg almond paste (best to special order from baking places)500 g powdered sugar
• Preparation• Put everything in a large stand mixer with a dough hook and mix until
sugar is incorporated. Transfer to a large pot over medium low heat and continue to knead dough for 20-30 min.
Dough should be smooth, add powdered sugar if needed. Cool dough, shape according to directions on kransekage forms.
• Icelandic vs United States
• Icelandic culture in weddings
Mrs. Elinbjort JonsdottirMr. Tryggvi Pall Fridriksson
All Orientation Weddings
• June 2010- same sex couples can now have a full wedding in Iceland.
• The Prime Minister of Iceland, Johanna Sigurdardottir, married her partner.
• There are a range of choices for the ceremony.
Worth Checking Out!!!
– Wedding song video directed by an Icelander
– Please watch: destination wedding of icelandshort film.