Conceptual models & Mental Models
Embed Size (px)
Use mental models ot understand and communicate key understandings about how your users and the business think about a problem. Then use Conceptual models to message a shared idea of how your product works to the users and business, both. This talk uses work from Indi Young and Don Norman.
Transcript of Conceptual models & Mental Models
- TODAYS UXDi Class at General Assembly Mental Models & Conceptual Models
- AGENDA What How is a mental model can we use it with content? Doing What How a gap analysis is a conceptual model? can we message how our site works? 2
- HEADER 4 HOW DO USERS THINK?
- EXERCISE DRAW A MAP FOR A GROCERY STORE 5
- EXERCISE 6
- HEADER USERS HAVE SURPRISING MENTAL MODELS.
- A QUICK TASK ANALYSIS HOW DO YOU SHOP?
- DOES SAFEWAY SUPPORT YOUR TASKS?
- DOES WHOLE FOODS SUPPORT YOUR TASKS?
- DOES AMAZON SUPPORT YOUR TASKS?
- DOES TRADER JOES SUPPORT YOUR TASKS?
- 14 Behavioral Conflicting Metaphors MENTAL MODELS Incomplete
- A GAP ANALYSIS 15 HOW COULD WE MAKE A BETTER GROCERY SITE?
- First: sort tasks into groups and name them From Indi Youngs Mental Models 16
- Next: Gap Analysis! map current content and features to the tasks From Indi Youngs Mental Models 17
- Next: identify opportunities From Indi Youngs Mental Models 18
- Next: fill opportunities, or chose to ignore Outfit picker From Indi Youngs Mental Models Casual carpool 19
- 20 Draw a conceptual model for what can be done on your grocery site. How would you message what can be found? What can be done?
- COMMUNICATE USING CONCEPTUAL MODELS
- 22 A conceptual model for understanding the Gulf of Mexico Estuaries Shows how the essential systems are intertwingled. Conceptual models take what users knows and how the system actually works, and builds a bridge between the two so the user can understand. A conceptual model for understanding the Gulf of Mexico Estuaries http://gulfsci.usgs.gov/tampabay/reports/white/model.html
- 23 Mental model 3. Synthesize into conceptual model User Conceptual model 2. Understand system System 1. Discover Mental Model Designer Computer designed by Daniel Shannonfrom The Noun Project
- 24 A conceptual model for explaining a service (mint, roundbuzz)
- Another style of conceptual models used to explain how to 25
- Via Andrew Hinton @inkblurt Made for University of Michigan A model to communicate with teams
- Via Andrew Hinton @inkblurt Consider conceptual models over sitemaps A model to communicate with teams
- STUDIO CREATE MENTAL & CONCEPTUAL MODELS 28
- HEADER This slide was left purposely blank. Because I can. 29
- HEADER Q&A 30