Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Chapter 4
- 1. Life and Works
Dr. Jose P. Rizal
2. CHAPTER IV:
TRIUMPHS IN THE ATENEO
Hold high the brow serene,
O youth, where now you stand;
Let the bright sheen
Of your grace be seen,
Fairhope of my fatherland!
- Jose Rizal
3. SAN JUAN DE LETRAN - Dominican owned college and a rival of Ateneo de Manila
ATENEO MUNICIPAL - formerly known as EscuelaPia, a charity school for poor boys in Manila which was established by 1817 and later became Ateneo de Manila.
Rizal took and passed the examination in COLLEGE OF SAN JUAN DE LETRAN but he enrolled in ATENEO when he came back to Manila.
TRIUMPHS IN THE ATENEO (1872 1877)01
4. RIZAL ENTERS ATENEO
FATHER MAGIN FERRANDO (college registrar) - refused to admit Jose Rizal because ;
- He was late for registration
5. He was sickly and undersized for his ageMANUEL XEREZ BURGOS nephew of Father Burgos; Rizal was admitted to Ateneobecause of him
RIZAL - surname used by Jose Rizal because Mercado became under suspicion by the Spanish authorities.
MERCADO surname used by Paciano
TITAY owner of the boarding house where Rizal boarded to settle the bill owed by Titay by about Php300.00
TRIUMPHS IN THE ATENEO (1872 1877)02
6. JESUIT SYSTEM OF EDUCATION
Reasons why Jesuit System was advance than other college
- It trained the character of students by rigid discipline and religious instruction.
7. It promotes physical culture, humanities and scientific studies. 8. Aside from academic courses leading to AB, it offers vocational course in agriculture, commerce, mechanics and surveying. 9. They were given splendid professors. 10. They acquired prestige as an excellent college for boys.TRIUMPHS IN THE ATENEO (1872 1877)03
11. TWO GROUPS OF STUDENT
Roman Empire (internos/boarders)-RED FLAG
Carthaginian Empire (externos/non-boarders) -BLUE FLAG
RAYADILLO official uniform of Ateneo students
TRIUMPHS IN THE ATENEO (1872 1877)04
12. FATHER JOSE BECH first teacher of Rizal in Ateneo
Rizal was placed as an externo but a week after he showed his progress and after a month he became the emperor.
SANTA ISABEL COLLEGE where Rizal took his Spanish lessons during recess and paid it for Php 3.00
Rizal returned to Calamba for his vacation. Saturnina brought him to Tanawan to visit their mother to cheer him up. After the vacation he returned to Ateneo for his second year. He is now living at DOA PEPAY, an old landlady with widowed daughter and four sons.
TRIUMPHS IN THE ATENEO (1872 1877)05
13. SECOND YEAR IN ATENEO(1873-1874)
He again became an emperor; he also received excellent grades in all subjects and a gold medal. At March 1874, he returned to Calamba for his vacation.
PROPHECY OF MOTHERS RELEASE
DoaTeodora was released in the jail after 3 months like what Jose Rizal said.
St. JOSEPH Rizal was comparable because of his interpretation about his mothers release.
TRIUMPHS IN THE ATENEO (1872 1877)06
14. TEENAGE INTEREST IN READING
TWO FAVORITE NOVELS OF RIZAL
THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTOby Alexander Dumas
TRAVEL IN THE PHILIPPINES by Feodor Jagor
UNIVERSAL HISTORY by Cesar Cantus
he wishes to buy
THIRD YEAR IN ATENEO (1874-1875)
He only got 1 medal in his Latin subject, then on March 1875 he returned to Calamba
TRIUMPHS IN THE ATENEO (1872 1877)07
15. FOURTH YEAR IN ATENEO (1875-1876)
JUNE 16,1875 Rizal became aninterne in Ateneo
FATHER FRANCISCO SANCHEZ - Rizals favorite teacher
Rizal won 5 medals and topped in all subjects and on March, 1876 he returned to Calamba.
Rizal became the pride of the Jesuits and he obtained highest grades in all subjects. He received the degree of Bachelor of Arts with highest honors during commencement exercise.
TRIUMPHS IN THE ATENEO (1872 1877)08
16. EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES IN ATENEO
- He was an emperor and a campus leader outside.
17. Secretary of the Marian Congregation 18. Member of Academy of Spanish Literature 19. Member of Academy of Natural SciencesFATHER JOSE VILLACLARA advised Rizal to stop communing with the muses but to pay more attention to practical studies.
Rizal studied painting at AGUSTIN SAEZ and sculpture under ROMUALDO DE JESUS, a Filipino sculptor.
TRIUMPHS IN THE ATENEO (1872 1877)09
20. SCULPTURAL WORKS IN ATENEO
THE VIRGIN MARY - he carved an image with Batikuling (Phil. Hardwood) with his pocket knife
FATHER LLEONART requested Rizal to carved an image of SACRED HEART OF JESUS
POEMS MADE BY RIZAL IN ATENEO
DoaTeodora was the first one to discover Rizals poetical talent while Fr. Sanchez helped Rizal to develop his talent.
Poems made by Rizal:
- Mi Primera Inspiration (My First Inspiration) -dedicated to Rizals mother
21. Through Education Our MotherlandReceives Light 22. The Intimate Alliance between Religion and Good Education 23. To the Child 24. To the Virgin Mary TRIUMPHS IN THE ATENEO (1872 1877)10
DRAMATIC WORK IN ATENEO
Father Sanchez requested Rizal to wrote a drama based with ST. EUSTACE THE MARTYR and on June 2, 1876, Rizal had finished the drama.
FIRST ROMANCE OF RIZAL
SEGUNDA KATIGBAK a 14 yr. old Batangueafrom Lipa whom Rizal first fell inloved with but Segundawas already engaged to Manuel Luz.
MARIANO KATIGBAK brother of Segunda
LA CONCORDIA COLLEGE where Segunda and Olimpia (Rizals sister) studied
TRIUMPHS IN THE ATENEO (1872 1877)11