Case study of Uttarakhand Flood Disaster 2013 - by Narendra Yadav & Vivekanand Sahani
Embed Size (px)
this is the presentation about the flood that occured in uttrakhand in 2013 this is the case study for uttrakhand disaster It you liked the ppt please just post the comment below Guyz we have worked very hard for this ppt .... it deserve at least 1 COMMENT
Transcript of Case study of Uttarakhand Flood Disaster 2013 - by Narendra Yadav & Vivekanand Sahani
- CASE STUDY OFCASE STUDY OF FLOODFLOOD BY-BY- Narendra YadavNarendra Yadav Vivekanand SahaniVivekanand Sahani
- Uttarakhand has a total area of 53,484 km of which 93% is mountainous and 64% is covered by forest. Most of the Uttarakhand part of the state is covered by high Himalayan peaks and glaciers Two of India's largest rivers, the Ganges and the Yamuna, originate in the glaciers of Uttarakhand INTRODUCTIONINTRODUCTION
- These two pilgrimage, Badrinath and Kedarnath form the Chota Char Dham lies in uttrakhand It is well know as the "Land of the Gods" Uttrakhand is well known for his chota charUttrakhand is well known for his chota char dham:-dham:- KedarnathKedarnath BadrinathBadrinath GangotriGangotri yamunotriyamunotri Uttrakhand is considered as one of theUttrakhand is considered as one of the most beautiful statemost beautiful state
- KEDARNATHKEDARNATH TEMPLETEMPLE BADRINATHBADRINATH TEMPLETEMPLE
- GANGOTRI TEMPLEGANGOTRI TEMPLE YAMUNOTRIYAMUNOTRI TEMPLETEMPLE
- THISTHIS MONSOONMONSOON
- Who is ResponsibleWho is Responsible for thisfor this Man or Nature ??Man or Nature ??
- Natural Reason...?Natural Reason...?
- From 14 to 17 June 2013, Indian state of uttrakhand and near by are received heavy rainfall The rainfall was was above benchmark which is above 375 precent
- A multi- day cloudburst ,centered on the state Uttarakhand caused devastating floods and landslides.
- Due to Continuous Rain the ChorabariDue to Continuous Rain the Chorabari Glacier melted and this triggered theGlacier melted and this triggered the flooding of the Mandakini riverflooding of the Mandakini river Which led to heavy floods nearWhich led to heavy floods near Gobindghat, Kedar Dome,Gobindghat, Kedar Dome, Rudraprayag district, UttarakhandRudraprayag district, Uttarakhand
- Is OnlyIs Only NatureNature faulty..?faulty..?
- MAN MADE REASONS.?MAN MADE REASONS.?
- The Uttrakhand Disaster have beenThe Uttrakhand Disaster have been officially termed a natural calamityofficially termed a natural calamity caused by cloudbursts andcaused by cloudbursts and unprecedented heavy monsoon rainfall.unprecedented heavy monsoon rainfall. However, the true causes of the epicHowever, the true causes of the epic tragedy is growth of tourism, uncheckedtragedy is growth of tourism, unchecked Rapid increase of roads, hotels, shopsRapid increase of roads, hotels, shops and multistory housing in ecologicallyand multistory housing in ecologically fragile areas and unplanned constructionfragile areas and unplanned construction are the reason for landslideare the reason for landslide
- Also Rapid growth ofAlso Rapid growth of hydroelectricity dams thathydroelectricity dams that disrupt water balances and thisdisrupt water balances and this also triggered the action ofalso triggered the action of disasterdisaster
- More than 220 power and mining projects are running in 14 river valleys in Uttarakhand. Several rivers are being diverted through tunnels for these projects leading to major disasters in the state.
- Deforestation is also one of the most importantDeforestation is also one of the most important factor of uttrakhand disaster, which causefactor of uttrakhand disaster, which cause frequently landslide.frequently landslide.
- RESCUE OPERATIONRESCUE OPERATION
- The Army, Air Force, Navy, Indo-TibetanThe Army, Air Force, Navy, Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Border Security Force,Border Police (ITBP), Border Security Force, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF),National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), Public Works Department and localPublic Works Department and local administrations worked together for quickadministrations worked together for quick rescue operations.rescue operations.
- Several thousand soldiers wereSeveral thousand soldiers were deployed for the rescue missionsdeployed for the rescue missions
- Helicopters were used to rescue peopleHelicopters were used to rescue people
- ITBP jawans distribute medicines to stranded pilgrims during in Uttarakhand rescue operation
- Local people distribute food to rescued pilgrims near IAF base camp in Dharasu
- By 21 June 2013, the Army had deployedBy 21 June 2013, the Army had deployed 10,000 soldiers and 11 helicopters,10,000 soldiers and 11 helicopters, the Navy had sent 45 naval divers, and thethe Navy had sent 45 naval divers, and the Air force had deployed 43 aircraft includingAir force had deployed 43 aircraft including 36 helicopters.36 helicopters.
- From 17 June to 30 June 2013, theFrom 17 June to 30 June 2013, the IAF airlifted a total of 18,424 people -IAF airlifted a total of 18,424 people - flying a total of 2,137 sorties andflying a total of 2,137 sorties and dropping landing a total of 3,36,930 kgdropping landing a total of 3,36,930 kg of relief material and equipmentof relief material and equipment
- Prime Minister of India undertook an aerial survey of the affectedPrime Minister of India undertook an aerial survey of the affected areas and announced 1000 crore (US$160 million) aid package.areas and announced 1000 crore (US$160 million) aid package. ]]
- In this rescue operation one helicopter has getIn this rescue operation one helicopter has get crashed and 20 bodies has found on the sitecrashed and 20 bodies has found on the site
- The woods has been brought to the site withThe woods has been brought to the site with helicopter for the funeral of the people who died inhelicopter for the funeral of the people who died in uttrakhand flooduttrakhand flood
- Uttar Pradesh Government 25 crore,Uttar Pradesh Government 25 crore, The governments of Haryana, MaharashtraThe governments of Haryana, Maharashtra and Delhi 10 crore each,and Delhi 10 crore each, The governments of Tamil Nadu, Odisha,The governments of Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh 5Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh 5 crore each.crore each. Several state governments also announcedSeveral state governments also announced financial assistance:financial assistance:
- The US Ambassador to India extended aThe US Ambassador to India extended a financial help of USD $150,000 through thefinancial help of USD $150,000 through the United States AgencyUnited States Agency Also US announced that the US willAlso US announced that the US will provide further financial aid of USDprovide further financial aid of USD $75,000.$75,000.
- 822822 were Deaths occurred in flood (officialwere Deaths occurred in flood (official estimates)estimates) 18001800 were Missing personswere Missing persons 22322232 has Fully damaged houseshas Fully damaged houses 154154 bridges get Damagedbridges get Damaged 15201520 roads get Damagedroads get Damaged Government as also announced 2 lakhs forGovernment as also announced 2 lakhs for total damaged houses in floodtotal damaged houses in flood