Cakes Ms. Cilurzo. 2 Types of Cakes 1) Shortened or Butter Cakes 2) Foam Cakes â€“...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Cakes Ms. Cilurzo. 2 Types of Cakes 1) Shortened or Butter Cakes 2) Foam Cakes â€“...
- Slide 1
- Cakes Ms. Cilurzo
- Slide 2
- 2 Types of Cakes 1) Shortened or Butter Cakes 2) Foam Cakes Chiffon Cakes Angel Food Cakes Sponge Cakes
- Slide 3
- Shortened or Butter Cakes Made with butter or vegetable shortening The main leavening agent is either baking powder or baking soda Made by two methods: conventional method or quick method They have a fine texture, and are light tender and moist
- Slide 4
- Foam Cakes Leavened by air trapped from stiffly beaten egg whites The cakes are light, spongy texture and high volume Three types: angel food cakes, sponge cakes, chiffon cakes
- Slide 5
- Angel Food Cakes Fat-free because it uses only egg whites Egg whites are beaten with sugar until stiff and glossy. Flour is sifted and gently folded in with a rubber scraper.
- Slide 6
- Sponge Cakes Made without shortening These cakes include egg yolks They are leavened with the air beaten into the eggs and with the steam formed during baking. They have a light, fluffy texture
- Slide 7
- Chiffon Cakes Made with oil instead of a solid fat They have some of the qualities of cakes made without fat even though oil is used Made with a large quantity of eggs which gives them the lightness characteristic of sponge cakes The oil gives them the tenderness of shortened cakes.
- Slide 8
- Cake Ingredients 1) Flour main ingredient and structure 2) Sugar sweetness and aids in browning 3) Eggs color and texture 4) Shortening tenderness and flavor 5) Liquid provides moisture and helps to blend the ingredients together. Milk is used most often. 6) Leavening Agent causes cake to rise and become light an porous in texture. Baking powder and baking soda are used in shortened cakes; sponge cakes are leavened by beating air into the eggs and by the steam produced during baking
- Slide 9
- Classwork Textbook The World of Food Read pages 509-521 Answer Chapter Questions 1-15 on page 522