BushfireConf2015 - 27. Prescribed burning provides opportunities for site restoration via weed...
Click here to load reader
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of BushfireConf2015 - 27. Prescribed burning provides opportunities for site restoration via weed...
- 1. Restoration using prescribed burning and weed management
- 2. Our goal (DEWNR) is to ensure that the vegetation condition does not deteriorate and fuels dont increase due to woody weeds. But we are also achieving restoration gains.
- 3. Distribution and cover of gorse (Ulex europaeus) in 2011 Pre burn Distribution and cover of gorse 2015 4 years post burn Key learning Important to be able to track the progress of individual burns over time.
- 4. Key learning pre burn control increases efficiency and improves restoration outcomes. Brush cut and burnt English broom (Cytisus scoparius) Cut and swabbed Rhamnus alaternus
- 5. Erica arborea (tree heath) control Pre burn control; Ensures biomass burns by increasing available fuel Promotes Erica germination pre burn then burn kills juveniles Ensures adults dont flower and seed on burnt ground (also creates uniform age class for follow up) Promotes native germination Makes follow up work easier Pre control Post control pre burn Post burn
- 6. Callystachys lanceolata (wonnich) in perched swamp Identified as a restoration burn for threatened plants being out competed by Callystachys. Surrounding vegetation burnt under mild conditions during spring. Swamp burnt the following Autumn at higher intensity to consume Callystachys and stimulate germination. Followed up before seed set.
- 7. Thank you 06/22/15
- 8. Thank you 06/22/15