Building a good and effective logo
Embed Size (px)
A really short introduction to the basic's of designing good and effective logo. Based on 5 golden keywords: Simple, Memorable, Timeless, Versatile and Appropriate. 26 pages with minimal text and a lot of examples of big and famous brands.
Transcript of Building a good and effective logo
- IDFCTRY.COM building A GOOD AND EFFECTIVE logo A short introDUCTION.
- IDFCTRY.COM I am Occupation : CREATIVE AT IDFCTRY.COM Education : he Dutch Academy of Art and Design T Rietveld Academie Amsterdam. Philosophy : Everything is a chance. Thinks : Reality is chaos Naeve belief : Everybody is creative. Motivation : Lets make better mistakes tomorrow. Do you have a design project you need help with? I would love to hear about it. Please send an email: INFO@IDFCTRY.COM
- IDFCTRY.COM Logo design A logo is a graphic mark or emblem commonly used by commercial enterprises, organizations and even individuals to aid and promote instant public recognition. Logos are either purely graphic (symbols/icons) or are composed of the name of the organization (a logotype or wordmark). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo
- IDFCTRY.COM OC The VOC Monogram, literally United East Indian Company The first multinational corporation ever. Its logo is still found all over the world these days.
- Five golden keywords FOR A SUCCESFUL LOGO IDFCTRY.COM Simple Memorable Timeless Versatile Appropriate
- Simple THink K.I.S.S.* IDFCTRY.COM A simple logo design allows for easy recognition which makes it versatile & memorable. Powerful logos feature something unique without being overdrawn. A powerful logo makes a quick statement. *Principle of design; which translates to: Keep It Simple and Stupid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle
- IDFCTRY.COM The hidden arrow is a form of subliminal advertising of the brand, symbolizing forward movement and thinking. Brilliant. It has been ranked by Rolling Stone Magazine as one of the 8 best logos of the past thirty-five years.
- IDFCTRY.COM The overlapping double C comes from the name Coco Chanel. Coco is the nickname used by founder, Gabrielle Chanel. The Chanel logo design was designed in 1925 by Coco Chanel herself and remained unchanged ever since.
- Memorable IDFCTRY.COM FAME! remember my name! A powerful logo design should be memorable. This is achieved by having a simple and appropriate logo. Uniqueness. Be your own brand. In the end, instant recognition is the holy grail. The next time a customer needs your kind of business, hell choose you just because of brand recognition. Dont try to emulate another company. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2COKt6DqSaQ
- IDFCTRY.COM Dare to differ. In its own simplify way this logo is say: We are creative, we challenge the status quo. This relative unknown logo from a TV producer is absolute phenomenal.
- IDFCTRY.COM The entire logo creates a feeling of movement, energy and excitement. A perfect fit for the James Bond series The 007 Gun Symbol Logo is designed in 1962 Joseph Caroff.
- Timeless (1) IDFCTRY.COM Avoid trends. Trends come and go. A good logo should be timeless. Will the logo still be effective in 10, 20, 50 years? And avoid trends. Avoid trends. Avoid trends! When it comes to brand identity longevity is key. Dont follow the pack. Stand out*. *Did I mention to avoid trends?
- Timeless (2) redesign: Evolution v.s. Revolution IDFCTRY.COM When to comes to the task of redesign, commit yourself to the heritage of the existing logo. Evolution is preverent on the choice of revolution. The germany say: in der Beschrnkung zeigt sich der Meister* Take up that challenge. * in the limitation itself shows the master (in fact essential to all graphic design).
- IDFCTRY.COM The five Olympic rings represent the five continents involved in the Olympics and were designed in 1913, adopted in 1914 and debuted at the Games at Antwerp, 1921. Despite the fact that the IOC is very protective of its symbols, ach Olympic Games has its own variantion.
- IDFCTRY.COM The New Man logo is one of the first commercially designed so-called ambigram logo. A typographical design that can be read as one or more words not only in its form as presented, but also ........................... from another viewpoint, direction, or orientation. Check this nice gallery: http://www.01101001.com/ambigrams
- IDFCTRY.COM 2010 1998 1980 In a long line of renditions of the same elements, it is sure to say that it will be changed in another dozen or so years again. Peugeots roots go back to 19th-century, at all times the lion emblem was embedded.
- Versatile (1) The Ability to adapt IDFCTRY.COM A good logo should be able to work across a variety of mediums and applications. Vector format is master. It ensures that the logo can be scaled to any size. A good logo should be able to work both in horizontal and vertical formats.
- Versatile (2) IDFCTRY.COM Ask yourself; is the logo still effective if its: - Printed in one colour? - Printed on the something the size of a pencil? - Printed on something as large as a billboard? - Printed in reverse (ie. light logo on dark background) Tip: design logos in black and white. Colours come later.
- IDFCTRY.COM Developed in 1913. Used a small circle-based design to depict the snow-covered tip of the Montblanc mountain and the fine quality of the pens. The star is also referred to as an edelweiss, the swiss national symbol.
- IDFCTRY.COM The bullseye, the TARGET character, it one of the most their recognizable rands logos ever designed. Target Corporation, usually known simply as Target.
- IDFCTRY.COM Favicons: the mini graphics in the browsers URL bar specifying a particular web-site. It is a graphic art form on it own. Making something good, limited to 16 colours and 16x16 pixels is the true graphic designers challenge.
- Appropriate IDFCTRY.COM The look and feel of the logo should be appropriate for its intended purpose. For example, if you are designing a logo for childrens toys store, it would be appropriate to use a childish font & colour scheme. This would not be so appropriate for a law firm. A logo doesnt need to show what a business sells or offers as a service. Car logos dont need to show cars. The Harley Davidson logo isnt a motorcycle, nor is the Nokia logo a mobile phone. A logo is purely for identification.
- IDFCTRY.COM Belive me, a logo with two bulls colliding headon, is appropriate for a drink that gives you an energy boost. And even the annoying Magenta colour is appealing to your emotions in a way that comes headon in your eyes. Red Bull is an energy drink, based on market share, it is the most popular energy drink in the world.
- IDFCTRY.COM The reverse R, imitates a small childs backward writing of R which is short for are , . One big advantage of a good name that says it all: you dont need any long and incomprehensible mission statements anymore. Everybody knows what you do an how. Toys R Us, is the largest toy-centered retailer in the United States.
- IDFCTRY.COM The battle of the best(?) Just for fun. Source: Fortune. How ever questionable the contenders are, the winner isnt.
- Disclaimer IDFCTRY.COM The information in this document is intended for informational and educational purposes only, to provide readers better understanding about Graphic design and corporate design. all Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. please respect them.