BASIC INFORMATION * The Iliad starts nine years into the Trojan War (you will read this in 10 th...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of BASIC INFORMATION * The Iliad starts nine years into the Trojan War (you will read this in 10 th...
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- BASIC INFORMATION * The Iliad starts nine years into the Trojan War (you will read this in 10 th grade). *The Trojan War takes place in Troy which is in the northwest corner of what we now call the Republic of Turkey (across from Greece) * Troy is known to have high walls built all the way around the city. It is impossible for outsiders to get over them.
- Slide 3
- *ERIS, GODDESS OF DISCORD (CONFLICT/STRIFE), WAS NOT INVITED TO A WEDDING BANQUET ON MT. OLYMPUS. SHE FELT INSULTED & OFFENDED. *SNEAKING INTO THE BANQUET HALL, ERIS TOSSES A GOLDEN APPLE ON THE DANCE FLOOR INSCRIBED FOR THE FAIREST. *ATHENA, HERA, AND APHRODITE ASKED ZEUS TO DECIDE WHO DESERVED THE APPLE. *ZEUS WOULD NOT CHOOSE. *ZEUS SAYS THAT PRINCE PARIS IS AN EXCELLENT JUDGE OF BEAUTY, AND REFERS THE GODDESSES TO HIM. HOW DID THE TROJAN WAR START?
- Slide 4
- THE JUDGMENT OF PARIS Prince Paris is the youngest son of King Priam of Troy. He is known as being rather weak and cowardly. When the goddesses appeared to him, they each offered him a bribe: *Athena- make into a warrior *Hera -important ruler of Europe and Asia. *Aphrodite - give him the most beautiful woman in the world.
- Slide 5
- WHOM DID PARIS CHOOSE? * Paris gives the apple to Aphrodite. *She then takes Paris to Helen of Sparta, the most beautiful woman in the world. *Hera and Athena, however, vow revenge on Paris & his homeland (Troy).
- Slide 6
- WHO IS HELEN OF SPARTA? * Considered the most beautiful woman * Wife of Menelaus (King of Sparta)-Aphrodite forgets to tell Paris that Helen is already married! * Menelauss brother is Greek King, Agamemnon. * Paris goes to Sparta to be a guest while Menelaus happens to be away from home. *Paris and Helen meet and begin a love affair. * Paris leaves to return to Troy and kidnaps Helen. * King Menelaus returns and is outraged and embarrassed. *He goes to his older brother and asks him to help wage war against Troy to get Helen back. * The brothers ask all of their Greek allies to help fight against Troy.
- Slide 7
- PARIS & HELEN IN TROY
- Slide 8
- HELEN IS KNOWN TO HAVE THE FACE THAT LAUNCHED A 1,000 SHIPS.
- Slide 9
- THE TROJAN WAR *10 years into Trojan War- Greeks still havent defeated *Trojan walls around the city are too high for the Greeks *Greeks need a plan. *King Odysseus (from the Greek island, Ithaca) thinks of the idea to build the Trojan horse *Idea: Build a huge Trojan horse and leave it outside the gates. All the Greeks will disappear, and the Trojans will think the horse is a peace offering and a sign of surrendering and take the horse into the gates of Troy. There will be Greek soldiers hiding inside the horse waiting for the right time to attack the Trojans. *Trojans accept the horse and celebrate their victory not suspecting anything. *Greeks do a surprise attack on the intoxicated Trojans and defeat them. *King Odysseus is considered the hero of the Trojan War. *Now, Odysseus and his men want to return back to their homes.
- Slide 10
- Slide 11
- Slide 12
- Write down the following sentences and then number them in order from #1-10. __ 3 goddesses offer Prince Paris a gift to pick them, and he ends up choosing Aphrodite. __ Paris & Helen begin a love affair in Sparta while her husband is away. __ 3 goddess want the title of being known as the fairest. __ A wedding has been announced and Eris is not invited. __ Paris kidnaps Helen and returns home to Troy. __ Paris goes to Sparta to be a guest in the palace. __ Eris throws an inscribed apple during the wedding. __ 1,000 ships launch to seek war against Troy. __ 3 goddesses ask Zeus to pick the fairest, but he recommends asking Prince Paris instead. __ Helens hubby returns home and vows revenge on the Trojans to get his wife back.
- Slide 13
- Write down the following sentences and then number them in order from #11-20. __ The Greeks need a plan to get over the walls of Troy. __ Odysseus and all the Greeks are now ready to leave Troy and go home. __ The Trojans celebrate their victory while Greek soldiers are hiding inside the horse. __ Odysseus is the main hero of the Trojan War because of his clever idea. __ The Greeks build a Trojan horse and leave it outside the gates. __ 10 yrs. later & the Greeks cannot defeat the Trojans because of their high city walls. __ The Greeks surprise attack the Trojans after they celebrate. __ Odysseus creates a plan to defeat the Trojans. __ The Trojans think the Greeks have surrendered & left, so they take the horse inside the city. __ The Greeks finally defeat the Trojans.