Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels Satan: The Angel of Light The Bible teaches that Satan is...
Click here to load reader
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels Satan: The Angel of Light The Bible teaches that Satan is...
- Slide 1
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels Satan: The Angel of Light The Bible teaches that Satan is the greatest enemy of both God and man. We must search the scriptures so we are aware of his schemes. A. The existence of Satan 1. Proof in Old Testament an adversary Job 1:6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it." Zech 3:1-2 3:1 Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right side to accuse him. 2 The LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, Satan !
- Slide 2
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels Satan: The Angel of Light 2. Proof in New Testament an adversary The word Satan occurs about 37 times in the New Testament. These scripture references uses the definite article in reference to Satan, indicating a personal Devil. Jesus taught the existence of Satan. Matt. 13:39;Luke 10:18;John 8:44
- Slide 3
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels Satan was a part of the original creation Isaiah 14: 12 12 "How you have fallen from heaven, o star of the morning, son of the dawn! You have been cut down to the earth, You who have weakened the nations! Ezek 28:12 12 "Son of man, take up a lamentation over the king ofTyre and say to him, 'Thus says the Lord GOD, "You had the seal of perfection, Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. Was Satan "perfect" like Jesus? No, but he was an angel... but God gave Satan a free choice, just like He gives to us.
- Slide 4
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels Satan was beautiful Ezek 28:17 17 "Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty; You corrupted your wisdom by reason of your splendor. I cast you to the ground; I put you before kings, That they may see you. Although we know very little concerning the circumstances of Satan's original sin, Christ gave us an insight into the iniquity that was found in Satan. John 8:44 44 "You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. NASB
- Slide 5
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels Satan's lie was that he said he could be like God. (Five I Wills) Isa 14:13-14 13 "But you said in your heart, 'I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God, And I will sit on the mount of assembly In the recesses of the north. 14'1 will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.' NASB Satan really believed he could be like God; which led to Pride. Because of His pride, he influenced 1/3 of the angels to rebel against God. Because of their sin, they could no longer dwell in heaven
- Slide 6
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels Satan is called: the "god of this world" - 2 Cor. 4:4 Prince of the power of the air Eph. 2:2 "the Prince of this world" - John 14:30 The adversary-1Peter 5:8 The accuser Rev. 12: 1 0
- Slide 7
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels When God sent him to the ground, apparently he did not lose his supernatural abilities. Powers of Satan: 1. He is able to blind the eyes of the ungodly 2 Cor. 4:4 in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 2. He is very subtle
- Slide 8
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels 3. He is powerful, but NOT omnipotent 4. He is intelligent, but NOT omniscient -Satan can not read your minds -he can oppress a Christian, -but he can NOT possess a Christian "greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world. " 1John 4:4 5. He is influential, but not omnipresent
- Slide 9
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels Satan's future position "Satan's future doom, prophesied in Genesis 3:15, is described in Isaiah 14, Revelation 12 & 20. The Scriptures record his final demise in two stages, at the end of the Tribulation and at the end of the Millennium." "In the midst of the Tribulation period, Satan no longer has any access to God to tempt God's people. Therefore God cast Satan from His presence, and event observed by John in Rev 9:1." Lake of Fire
- Slide 10
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels
- Slide 11
- The character of Satan 1. He is the adversary. An adversary is one who takes a position against another. From the opening pages of Scripture, Satan is seen as the one who is set against everything that is righteous, good, and holy. He is the arch enemy of God and His children. To stand with Satan and his philosophy is to stand against God. I "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour." 1 Pet. 5:8
- Slide 12
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels 2.He is the accuser. I "Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought? Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed I the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land. But put forth thine hand now and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face." Job 1:9-11 ''And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night." Rev.12:10
- Slide 13
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels 3. He is the tempter. Of all Satan's character traits this one word describes him in his primary occupation. He is continually tempting men to follow his evil ways.
- Slide 14
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels Evidently anything that Satan does today is by the permission of God. As the "accuser of the brethren," he mocks everything that is holy and just. He ridicules the spiritual Christian before God day and night Once allowed by God to tempt an individual, he will try everything at his disposal to make the holy unholy. But we have the confidence that "greater is he that is in you [God], than he that is in the world [Satan]" (1 John 4:4). God will never allow us to be tempted by Satan to an unbearable degree. "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer allow you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." 1 Cor. 10:13
- Slide 15
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels It is important to understand how Satan tempts us so that we can be prepared to defend ourselves (in God's power) against him. From 1 John 2:16 we learn that the Devil has three primary methods of temptation: "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh,and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." 1 John 2:16
- Slide 16
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels Each one of these temptations arises out of an area of God-given desire but is then taken beyond the limit of Scripture. Satan used these three areas of temptation with Eve as well as with Jesus Christ. Christ's glorious victory over the Devil's temptations gives us confidence that we, too, can overcome his temptation. By submitting to the Holy Spirit and using the Word of God, we can overcome the temptations of the Tempter. We need not fear what he can do to us. Our confidence is in the One who soundly defeated the Devil.
- Slide 17
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels Present and Future Position 0f Satan A.Satan's present position 1.He has a position of great power. a.Over the world (Matt. 12:26; John 12:31; Eph. 2:2) b. Over his fallen angels (Matt. 25:41; 1 John 5:19; Rev. 12:7)
- Slide 18
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels 2. He is the possessor of a great kingdom. In Matthew 12:26 Christ refers to the kingdom of Satan. In the temptation of Christ in the wilderness Satan offered Christ the kingdoms of the world if Christ would bow down and worship him. Did Satan have the right to make such an offer? Evidently he did. Christ never disputed Satan's claim. God had given to Satan temporary rule over this world, and Satan offered that rule to Christ. Jesus Christ rightfully refused the offer, for He knew that someday He would receive His kingdom, but it would come in God's time and in God's way. Christ knew that first there must be Calvary, then the kingdom. This should be a lesson to those who are impatient concerning God's will and His perfect timing. God's way and timing are always best. There can be no "short cuts" to long-term spirituality.
- Slide 19
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels 3.He is the perpetrator of much wickedness. a. Satan is involved in tireless activity. "Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, [I have come] From going to and from in the earth, and from walking up and down in it." Job 1:7
- Slide 20
- Angelology-The Study (Doctrine) of Angels b. He is in a continual conflict with God. 15 And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her seed ;He shall bruise you