Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Ancient Rome
- 1. Ancient Rome SOL 3.1, 3.5, 3.7
2. The ancientRoman civilizationshares:
- A writtenlanguage
- A system ofgovernment
- Advances inarts and sciences
- A commonculture
3. Physical Characteristics
- Ancient Rome was.
- Next to theMediterranean Sea
- It covered parts ofEurope, Asia and Africa
- Rocky and mountainous
- Built on hills
- Next to theTiber River
4. Representative Democracy
- Citizens (wealthy men) voted forrepresentativesto make laws for them.
- Laws applied to everyone.
- We use a representative democracy in America today!
5. Adaptations to the Environment
- Ancient Romans adapted to their mountainous land by
- Growing olives and grapes
- Having small farms on terraced hillsides
- Trading on the Mediterranean Sea
6. Jobs of the Romans
- Road builders
- Romans used
- in buildings, bridges and aqueducts.
8. Aqueducts were designed to pump water in to the city.The water was used for humans and for irrigation. 9. Road Building
- The Romans created a network of paved highways.This joined the empire together and allowed soldiers to move swiftly from one area to another.
10. Roman Art
- Roman artists created:
- Mosaicswere a special art form that used small pieces of tile, glass or stone.
- The Romans began by worshipping different gods and goddesses (like the Greeks), but eventually become Christians.
12. Ancient Romans also.
- Changed our calendar to 365 days and named the months
- Gave us 1/3 of our English language
- Used Roman numerals that we still see today on clocks, watches, and in books
13. The People of Ancient Rome
- Men were citizens
- Women were caretakers
- Boys were educated
- Girls learned handicrafts and household chores
- What wouldyoube doing in Ancient Rome?
14. Be able to locateItaly ,Romeand theMediterranean Seaon a map. Study and you will be REALLY ROMAN!