Click here to load reader
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Ancient china
- 1.Ancient China
2. Geography 3. Chinas geography played an important role in its development.China is about the same size as the United States.There are several physical barriers that separates China from its neighbors 4. Over much of Chinas north is a vast desert called the Gobi Desert.To the west is a large area of mountains. 5. The Himalayas are a very large mountain range that extends over much of southwestern China.Ancient China was isolated from the rest of the world. 6. To the east there are low lying plains that make up a very fertile region for farming. 7. Two great rivers flow from west to east. The Huang He and the Chang Jiang. Like other rivers, they would often flood leaving fertile silt on the land. 8. Government: Dynasties 9. Xia Dynasty 10.
- In 2200 BC a series of dynasties began to rule China.
- Dynasty : a series of rulers from the same family.
- Thefirstfamily that ruled were theXia .
- The first ruler of the Xia wasYu the Great.
11. Shang Dynasty 12. In the1500s BC , a new family rose to power- theShang .They ruled with amonarchy .The king would have advisors who helped him rule. 13. Social Class (Shang) 14. King, royal family, nobles, warriors Craftworkers Farmers Slaves Shang Social Order 15. Innovations and Inventions (Shang) 16. Chinas first writing system. It contained over 2000 symbols to represent ideas and words. 17. Oracle Bones Priests would carve writing on animal bones or turtle shells asking the gods about the future. 18. The bones would then be heated and cooled resulting in cracks. The priest would read the cracks and predict the future and then would advise the king. 19. The Shang also began to work in bronze.Bronzeis a mixture of copper and tin. The artisans ( craftworkers ) would make beautiful bronze containers for cooking and religious ceremonies. 20. They also made axes, knives, and ornaments from a stone calledjade. 21. The Shang also usedbronze body armor ,powerful bowsandwar chariotsin their armies. 22. Religion 23. Chinese practiced an ancestor-worship where they would call upon their ancestors to help them. 24. Zhou Dynasty 25. In the1100s BCtheZhoucame into power. They believed they had theMandate of Tien or Heavento rule. According to this rule, the supreme god supported good rulers of the Zhou. 26. ThisMandate of Heavenwould only support good kings. If a king was found to be bad, then Heaven would support another leader. Using this philosophy they rebelled against the Shang. 27. Government:Zhou 28. The Zhou introduced a new system of government calledfeudalism .The king would grant land to war leaders called lords, and in return they would have to give their loyalty to the king and provide military support.The lords would grant land to farmers, and in return they would have to work some of the land for the lords and serve in their armies. 29. Emperor Nobles Nobles Farmers Farmers Gives land to nobles Gives land to the farmers Zhou Feudal Society 30. Emperor Nobles Nobles Farmers Farmers Farmers farm for the lords and serve in their armies Give their loyalty and provide military support Zhou Feudal Society 31. Zhou Social Order Emperor Lords ( landowners) Farmers or Peasants