Analysis of our 3 chosen trailers;
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Analysis of our 3 chosen trailers;
- Analyticaldeconstruction ofShutter Island,Paranormal Activity &The Exorcism of EmilyRose
- What is the difference between a trailer and a teaser trailer?A trailer, simply advertises a film orprogramme, often using shots or scenes from themovie. Most films have both a full length trailer and ateaser trailer. A full trailer is longer, reveals moreinformation about the movie and is often shown incinemas soon before the films release. Whereas, ateaser trailer is specifically that - a trailer meant totease. They dont reveal any significant plot detailsand are meant only to give the spectator a minorglimpse as what is to come. These are morecommonly found online and on TV a while before therelease of the film. This is to attract attention andcreate a buzz around the up and coming movie.
- Shutter Island;Shutter Island is a psychological thriller set in a remote asylumon a private island. The trailer introduces us to the protagonist,a detective played by Leonardo DiCaprio, who appears to beinspecting the case of a missing person within the asylum.However as the trailer progresses the audience become awareof a twist in the plot through the detectives change of behavior.The pace of the trailer increases whilst the music climbs to arapid pace, this creates tension and hints at the horror whichlies in the asylum.Furthermore it suggests that there is more to the detective thanthe trailer is willing to convey and leaves the audiencequestioning his position within the asylum.We have chosen this trailer as we aim to create a similar settingfor our trailer (mental asylum) and a similar hybrid genre(psychological thriller/horror); we felt that this trailer portraysthis combination of genre well in the way we hope to.
- Music & Sound EffectsSea crashing against the shore emphasizes the isolation of the island.Screaming noises which connote danger and suffering.A number of sudden loud bangs whilst introducing shots within the asylum, whichcreates tension.Silence whilst the guards and detectives are speaking which highlights theirauthority and allows their dialogue to hold importance when they say: We onlytake in the most dangerous damaged patients which really highlights the setting.Whispers from characters in the mental institute which is following horror genreconventions.We plan to incorporate the loud bang sound effects to enhance the change ofshots in our trailer and to follow conventions from Shutter Island and build thesame scale of tension within our own institute. We also aim to use whispers in ourtrailer however we want to show where the whispers are coming from incomparison to Shutter Island where they use the whispers as voiceovers. Weplan to include dialogue from doctors in our trailer to clearly convey our narrative,highlight their authority in contrast to our protagonist and to show the importanceof what they are saying (that our character is mentally ill) We are challenging theamount of dialogue used in the trailer for Shutter Island by minimizing our amountof dialogue to emphasize our horror genre; instead we are using conventionalshots of our character being possessed which maintains the scary feel to horrorfilms.
- Mise-en-sceneBig black gates used in the introduction of the trailer- introduces us tothe setting (mental institute) The guards alongside the gate suggestthe entrapment of the asylum an the seriousness hinting at thedangerous patients inside.Deserted, empty rooms.The shot of the shower is a convention of horror films as typically thereis normally always a shot of the victim in a shower; this suggests theirvulnerability and hints forthcoming danger.Barbed wire is used in a shot during the build up in the trailer. Thisfurther enhances the entrapment aspect to the asylum. The darknessin the shots conveys a horror feel and the sound effect alongside theshot makes the shot feel realistic and sudden.Establishing shot of the asylum- large old isolated building whichstands as the destination of the institute.We plan to combine a shot of large black gates with the establishingshot of our asylum in our trailer therefore challenging these features ofmise-en-scene in Shutter Island. We are doing this as we feel it isimportant to introduce our audience to the setting immediately. We arethinking of including a shot of barbed wire however arent too sure ifwe will be able to gain as good as effect as they do in Shutter Island asthere is not barbed wire which typically looks as twisted and effectiveas this one. To keep with conventions of horror films we plan to use ashower shot with our female protagonist to highlight her vulnerabilityand to suggest forthcoming danger.
- Shutter Island; Target AudienceThe age rating for the film is a 15 therefore in comparison with The Exorcism of Emily Rosewe can argue that the film isnt suitable for a younger audience suggesting that it contains alot more scarier and thrilling moments which wouldnt be suitable for a younger audience. Inthe first 10 seconds of the trailer we are introduced to the A-list star, Leonardo DiCaprioimmediately suggesting that this film is targeted at a female audience as he is very popularand attractive. Furthermore, the fact that he is well known suggests that the film will gainmass appeal as there would be a lot of build up and hype around a film staring an A-list staras the protagonist. The films genre, Psychological thriller also suggests action which typicallyappeals to male audience and we can see this through a three-shot image of the detectives.Typically, films containing horror genres do not include well known actors, in example theactors used for Paranormal Activity are unknown and this could suggest why the trailer has tostrongly emphasize horror conventions to appeal to their target audience where as this filmstrailer can just subtly embark on thrilling and scary moments as they know that their A-listactors will create the most appeal.Examples within the trailer that appeal to its target audience; -Image of Leonardo DiCaprio- attractive, popular, female audience. (screen shot where itstates his name and compare to Paranormal Activity lack of emphasis on actors name)-Screen shot where action is taken place (detectives, guards, guns etc)- male audience.How this will affect our trailer and target audience;We are ultimately challenging the use of characters to appeal to our target audience of thistrailer- instead we are following conventions of Paranormal Activity by using unknowncharacters; this will force us to exaggerate our thrilling and scary moments within our trailer toappeal to our target audience that way instead of A-list actors. -We are also going to include abuild up of action within our trailer to appeal to male audience- in example we plan to usefound footage to convey our female characters memory of the killing of her Mother when sheis possessed and this found footage will be action packed, with fast paced music, lots ofchanging shots etc.
- Representation of social groups;WHO DOES THIS TRAILER REPRESENT;Social groups; Patients who suffer with mental healthproblems- negative portrayal of them, disturbingbehavior- allows the trailer to appear scary. Detectives-males. Connote action therefore male audience appeal.HOW WILL THIS EFFECT OUR TRAILER AND WHOWE WANT TO REPRESENT;We want to represent a social group of doctors, whichare a social group within Shutter Island however do notplay a dominant part in the trailer. We are representingthe social group of patients who suffer with mentalhealth problems but are challenging the way ShutterIsland present this group as we are only representingthis social group through one character.
- Paranormal Activity;Paranormal Activity is a film about a young couple moving into asuburban home and becoming increasingly disturbed by a nightlydemonic presence. The film is shot with hand-held cameras and thisis hugely reflected through the production budget of under $15000.The trailer exposes the audience to the nightly demonic presencethrough found footage to express a realistic sense of horror.We have chosen this trailer to deconstruct as we found similarities inwhat we want to include in our trailer in terms of style and editing.We intend to include a demon possession and incorporate foundfootage to represent the protagonists point of view. We chose thistrailer as it involves techniques we can easily mimic when filming ourown trailer and the narrative of devil force is similar to how weenvision ours to be.
- Style;Found footage and CCTV techniques are used in the film are arepresented in the trailer to allow the audience to feel part of whatshappening and can also leave the the spectator in suspense as thistechnique of style may fail to show every detail of the trailer. The filmis filmed in a similar way to a observational documentary, creatingthe effect that original sound and raw, uncut footage was used, like afly on the wall documentary.Editing;The most effective cut used within the trailer is the white noisescreens that replicate a home video recorder, another way theysimulate this is by super imposing the date and time in the bottomright hand corner of the screen. This also mimics a home video andadds to the realist narrative. The trailer also cuts to black shots withshort reviews about the film and text such as; "Experience it foryourself" flashing onto the screen. This addresses the specta