A Discussion Guide for Tall Story by Candy Gourlay
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of A Discussion Guide for Tall Story by Candy Gourlay
- 1. By Candy GourlayTall StoryA D I S C U S S I O N G U I D E B Y T H E A U T H O R
- 2. Characters
- 3. BernardogrewupinthePhilippines.
- 4. BernardogrewupinthePhilippines.HewisheshecouldbewithhissisterinLondon.
- 5. BernardoHesuffersfromGIGANTISM.grewupinthePhilippines.HewisheshecouldbewithhissisterinLondon.
- 6. GIGANTISMIs a growth disease.
- 7. GIGANTISMIs a growth disease.You can get this tall.
- 8. Andi
- 9. Andiis short
- 10. Andiis short but shesAMAZINGat basketball!
- 11. Andiis short but shesAMAZINGat basketball!Shes not sure abouther long lost brotherfrom the Philippines.
- 12. Think
- 13. ThinkBernardo is a Giant.What do you think its like to bedifferent like Bernardo
- 14. ThinkWhat would you do if you weredifferent like Bernardo?
- 15. ThinkHow do people react when theymeet someone whos differentlike Bernardo? Why?
- 16. ThinkHow would you react if you metsomeone like Bernardo?Why?
- 17. Setting
- 18. ThinkBernardo and Andi grew up indifferent cultures.
- 19. CULTURErefers to traditions, stylesocial habits, beliefs,language, religion, food.
- 20. CULTURErefers to traditions, stylesocial habits, beliefs,language, religion, food.Filipino Culture!
- 21. CULTURErefers to traditions, stylesocial habits, beliefs,language, religion, food.Filipino Culture!
- 22. CULTURErefers to traditions, stylesocial habits, beliefs,language, religion, food.English Culture!Filipino Culture!
- 23. CULTURErefers to traditions, stylesocial habits, beliefs,language, religion, food.English Culture!Filipino Culture!Yeoman image by Andrew Ga1
- 24. Think
- 25. ThinkWhat do you think are some of thecultural differences between theBernardo and Andi?
- 26. ThinkDo you know anyone whosculturally different from you? How?
- 27. ThinkHow do the cultural differencesaffect the relationshipof Bernardo and Andi?
- 28. ThinkBernardo and Andi grew up indifferent environments.
- 29. Bernardo grew up inthe Philippines.
- 30. Andi grew up inLondon.
- 31. Think
- 32. ThinkWhich setting is most likeyour own? Why?
- 33. ThinkHow does his environmentinfluence Bernardos character?
- 34. ThinkHow does her environmentinfluence Andis personality?
- 35. ThinkHow does her environmentinfluence Andis personality?
- 36. ThinkHow has your environmentinfluenced you?
- 37. Story
- 38. ThinkThe story alternates betweenBernardo and Andis voice.Why is the story told this way?
- 39. ThinkBoth Andi and Bernardo have verystrong desires. What do each ofthem want and how does the storyshow this?
- 40. ThinkFilipino legends are woven intoBernardos side of the story. Whatdo the legends explain?
- 41. ThinkThere are magical elements in thestory. Bernardos wish comes trueand so does Andis. Do you thinkits because of the magic? Why?
- 42. More Reading
- 43. Cosmic by Frank Cottrell BoyceHes so tall he manages tofool a dealer into lettinghim test drive a car. But issigning up for a trip toouter space a step too far?Wonder by RJ PalacioHes funny, smart and brave but hes got no face and nowhes got to attend real school.How is he going to cope?The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indianby Sherman AlexieNative American boy dares toleave the reservation to becomethe only Indian in school.Hilarious and sad.
- 44. I hope you enjoyed this discussion guide.A good book shouldmake you think and I hope Tall Story hasdone just that. Thank you for readingmy book!Candy Gourlay
- 45. candygourlay.comWith thanks to Sarah McIntyre for the Tall Story cartoonjabberworks.livejournal.com