A Bibliographic Playlist: Online Reference, Recommender, & Collaborative Academic Tools
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of A Bibliographic Playlist: Online Reference, Recommender, & Collaborative Academic Tools
- 1. A Bibliographic Playlist:Online Reference, Recommender, & Collaborative Academic Tools Lorena OEnglish http://pbj.ctlt.wsu.edu/oenglish [email_address] Yahoo/MSN/AIM IM: wsulorena
2. The Problem
- Keeping track of websites, articles, gray literature, and books for scholarly research can be difficult and require complex systems or multiple systems
- Reference manager software = $-$$$
- Research is often collaborative but most reference management solutions are not (or at least not very)
3. A Potential Solution
- Social Bookmarking sites allow you toshare links to webpages with others(either specific people or the general public) i.e.http:// del.icio.us
- Many social bookmarking sites only work with open websites, but now there arefree academic bookmarking sitesthat allow access to scholarly articles (even those from subscription databases)
- Increasingly these sitesserve multiple functions : reference managers (including citation styles), discovery/ search engines, delivery/fufillment services, recommendation/suggestion engines, and collaborative spaces
4. Obligatory Technical/Vocabulary Slides 5. The OpenURL StandardLink Resolvers and Link Resolver (provides access to an appropriate copy for WSU users, if available) 6. Digital Object identifiers (DOIs)
- A way to identify something (generally an article, but could also be journals, books, data, etc.) along with associated info (metadata)
- Provided by participating publishers through DOI Registration Agencies (i.e.www.crossref.org ) for persistent identification of scholarly content.
- Can find in both electronic and print versions of articles
- Generally takes to a publisher page, that may or may not provide fulltext links for WSU affiliatesit depends
7. Tagging as Metadata
- Metadata: assigned data about data
- Tagging resources with descriptive indexing terms
- "...bottom-up classifications which lack rigour..." ( The Observer ) - No promises of consistency...internally or externally...
- A way to self-organize information (articles, website, blog posts, bookmarks, etc.)
- Can be social and searchable
Library of Congress Subject Headings Del.icio.us 8. The Tools
- Endnote Web(www.myendnoteweb.com)
And CiteULike And RefWorks, EndNote, ProCite 9. EndNote Web
- Good for current EndNote users
- Web version provided free to all WSU affiliates via the WSU Libraries subscription to Web of Science
- Librarian Jane Scales teaches EndNote Web classes via WSUs HRS training office
- Available as a Firefox 2.0 extension
- Based on your computer, but can be loaded on a flash drive for portability and record transfer.
- Can use with all open webpages, and many/most WSU Libraries article databases via OpenURL/Find it@WSU .
- Allows tags, notes, and screenshots to be associated with articles & other resources
- Can import and export citations to EndNote, RIS and other reference manager formats using multiple citation styles; includes Microsoft Word plug-in for attaching citations (in correct style) to documents
- Can attach (and search) associated PDFs
- From the Center for History and New Media, at George Mason University.
- Forthcoming: Web-based, collaborative and recommender capabilities
11. 12. Adding at theArticle level Opens application 13. Shows storedimageof pagesometimes Links to article viaFind it @WSUSubject headings/descriptors areautomatic tags; tags can be addedor deleted. Tags can be searchedindividually or in combination. 14. Adding at the Results level 15. 16.
- Web-based and easily accessible
- Can use with all open webpages, Griffin, and many WSU Libraries article databases viaDOIs and OpenURL(or at the worst, copied or manual entry with no article full text)
- Can import and export to EndNote, RIS, and other reference manager formats; resources can be archived
- Can attach PDF files for specific articles
- Can keep references private, limit to specified group, or make public
- Collaborative can share comments on resources (public, private, or group)
- Recommender/suggestion engine - discovery beyond search via tagging, related articles, and related users (but you can search it as well )
- Provided for free via scholarly journalNature
17. 18. 19. 20. 21. ConnoteaZotero
- Private, public or collaborative
- Sponsored by Nature Group
- Works best with DOI
- Often requires some manual entry
- Used mostly in the sciences
- Doesnt work with all library databases/publishers
- OpenURL standard makes most library resources accessible
- Integrated with MS Word for adding references via plugin
- Rapidly developing (GMU home, and grant $$$)
- Requires Firefox 2.0
- Sits on a computer drive (for now)
- Just you (for now)
- Doesnt work with all library databases/publishers
- Wikipedia: Comparison of Reference Manager Software
- HRS Classes starting in the spring
- Tailored workshops for graduate student groups, etc. available on request (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Want to try it on your own?
- IMPORTANT : These resources areNOTformally supported by the WSU Libraries!