5 Big Ideas to Keep Control of Indie Transmedia Projects
Embed Size (px)
UPDATE October 15: Here is the video of my keynote at Colombia 3.0. At 48 minutes its not a quick watch. But it's definitely the best record to date of what I'm attempting creatively. The talk starts after the first 2'20. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBvrDBBZ1oY&list=PLhTx9maDqE9JJzsKjXIwTBDAohs327-ED I've also embedded the video after the last slide here on Slideshare, just click to watch. 5 Ideas: Be Excited, Selective Control, Communicate Your Vision, Be Practical, Your Creative Focus. This deck supported Ian Ginn's presentation during Colombia 3.0 in Bogotá. Ian spoke to an audience of 1100 delegates, plus many more via a live stream to Brazil, Argentina, and Chile.
Transcript of 5 Big Ideas to Keep Control of Indie Transmedia Projects
- 5 BIG IDEAS TO KEEP CONTROL OF INDIE TRANSMEDIA PROJECTS
- WHY AN INDIE TRANSMEDIA PROJECT?
- The conservative reality of mainstream entertainment creatively stunts transmedia projects.
- Indie transmedia raises very provocative questions about entertainment and creativity.
- Transmedia projects can deliver rich original experiences using easily available tools.
- The goal is to realise a new aesthetic from the construction of a complex whole.
- WORK ON INDIE PROJECTS THAT EXCITE YOU. 1
- YOU CANNOT CONTROL EVERYTHING.
- What do you want to Keep Control of?
- Visionkey decisions on story. Creative processdevelopment. Intellectual Property Rights. Channelsplatformsmedia mix.
- What are you trying to Achieve with your project?
- Is it an experiment? Will you create valuable IP? Do you aim for social awareness? Will it establish your company? Something else?
- Be Prepared to Share Strategically!
- DECIDE WHAT YOU NEED TO CONTROL. 2
- KNOW WHAT PROJECT SUCCESS MEANS.
- Establishes your property. Establishes your authorship. Shows what you can do. Increases value to sources of finance. Attracts audience to test your assumptions. Provides input for business model and ROI.
- Describe your Project Vision. Intentions. Goals. Strategy.
- DESCRIBE & COMMUNICATE YOUR VISION. 3
- SALIGIA-7 TRANSMEDIA SCI-FI THRILLER
- SALIGIA-7 TRANSMEDIA SCI-FI THRILLER IMMERSIVE LOCATIVE THEATRE PERVASIVE STORY & GAME EVENTS SOCIAL MEDIA NARRATIVES - WEB SERIES NOVELS - E-BOOKS - GRAPHIC NOVELS MOBILE FEATURE FILMS
- STORYTELLING + GAMEPLAY + LIVE - SPECTACLE + SOCIAL - DIGITAL
- WHATS THE PLAN? 2011 201720142012 2013 2015 2016 ZA# 2018 2019 2020 PILOT R&D + PLAYTESTING NOVELS. E-BOOKS. GRAPHIC NOVELS IMMERSIVE THEATRE FEATURE FILMS
- 2011 201720142012 2013 2015 2016 ZA# 2018 2019 2020 WHAT WILL IT TAKE? PILOT
- DEVELOP YOUR READINESS.
- Adopt an Instalment Approach. Story episodes. Game levels.
- Instalment-based design is a Practical Solution to complexity. Each instalment is fundable. You only know so much. Your thinking will change and develop. The project horizon is manageable.
- ZOMBIE ALARM #1 TRANSMEDIA PILOT RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
- Teenagers in Amsterdam who display symptoms of an unknown illness. 3 NARRATIVES
- Self-styled zombie hunters intent on finding out whats going on. 3 NARRATIVES
- Reactions of society to the threat of a zombie outbreak. 3 NARRATIVES
- print news News stories get confused between fiction and reality broadcast fictional current affairs show the story of 2 of the teens story of 100 missing teens MissingChristel Community Facebook narrative Facebook narratives ZombieAlarm Facebook narrative ZombieAlarm story blog 2 become our protagonists webisodes Twitter updates featuring a pack of 7 teen-zombies z-leaks story blog SWATsquad reveals evidence VUPs get involved UGC spread via twitter gather at events society reacts and deploys a ZOMBIE SWAT SQUAD teens become ZOMBIES genre fans raise a ZOMBIE ALARM live events: pervasive story meets alternate reality game
- BREAK DOWN YOUR PROJECT INTO INSTALMENTS. 4
- WORK TOWARDS CREATIVE CLARITY.
- Clarity of form cannot be achieved until there is first clarity in the designers mind and actions. architect Christopher Alexander
- XDWEXPERIENCE DESIGN for game- and story- WORLDS TRANSMEDIA STORYTELLING + EXPERIENCE DESIGN
- EXPERIENCE DESIGN. Audiences create meaning TRANSMEDIA STRUCTURE. TRANSMEDIA ARCHITECTURE.
- EXPERIENCE DESIGN. Time / Duration Interactivity Intensity Breadth / Consistency Sensorial Cognitive Triggers Significance / Meaning TRANSMEDIA STRUCTURE. TRANSMEDIA ARCHITECTURE.
- EXPERIENCE DESIGN. TRANSMEDIA STRUCTURE. Game design & Gameplay Narrative & Story structure Interaction design Theatre & Performance TRANSMEDIA ARCHITECTURE.
- EXPERIENCE DESIGN. TRANSMEDIA STRUCTURE. TRANSMEDIA ARCHITECTURE. Timing, Pacing, Phasing Choice of media, Sequencing
- DEFINE YOUR LONG TERM CREATIVE FOCUS. 5
- 1 2 3 4 BE EXCITED. SELECTIVE CONTROL. COMMUNICATE YOUR VISION. BE PRACTICAL. 5 YOUR CREATIVE FOCUS.
- Thank You @IANGINN TWITTER Cover Image CTrey Ratcliff via Compflight Icons from The Noun Project Book: Piotrek Chuchla Theater: Bjrn Andersson Game Plan: Scott Lewis Digital Play: Juan Pablo Bravo Movie: Erik Vullings Play: Gilad Fried Social Media: Joris Hoogendoorn Clapperboard: Fabio Grande Gears: Gustavo Cordeiro Mobile Content: San Salido Martnez Writing: Korokoro Signpost: Parker Martin Slide Deck Inspiration thanks Emiland de Cubber
- C THIS DECK SUPPORTED IANS PRESENTATION DURING COLOMBIA 3.0 IN BOGOT, WHERE HE SPOKE TO AN AUDIENCE OF 1100 DELEGATES, PLUS MANY MORE VIA A LIVE STREAM TO BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, AND CHILE. HTTP://COLOMBIA30.CO/INDEX.PHP/EN/CONTENTS/TRANSMEDIA-ENG Incredibly exciting - do not miss Ians masterclass or workshop! Cross Video Days A marathon of knowledge, innovation and open-mindedness. Workshop Participant Tore up some walls in my head - not only on transmedia itself, but also about the possibilities on how to approach it Workshop Participant The best presentation I have heard on a real transmedia project. European Association of Animation Film
- IAN GINN IS A EUROPEAN CONSULTANT, TRANSMEDIA STORY ARCHITECT AND EXPERIENCE DESIGNER. CONSULTING ENGAGEMENTS CURRENTLY INCLUDE ADVISING INTERNATIONALLY TO FUNDS, INNOVATION HUBS, AND PUBLIC COMMISSIONS ON STRATEGY AND STRUCTURE FOR PROGRAMMES SUPPORTING TRANSMEDIA, DIGITAL MEDIA AND FEATURE FILM. HE SHARES HIS EXPERTISE WIDELY, AND IS A FREQUENT SPEAKER IN CONFERENCES AND THINK TANKS WORLDWIDE, INCLUDING: MIP CUBE, CANNES; CROSS VIDEO DAYS, PARIS; LONDON BOOK FAIR; CARTOON CONNECTION, QUEBEC; CARTOON DIGITAL, PAU; EBU TV SUMMIT, LUCERNE; TEDXTRANSMEDIA, GENEVA & ROME; STORYWORLD, LA AND SF; DIY DAYS, LA; CANNES FILM FESTIVAL; SAN SEBASTIAN FILM FESTIVAL; MOBILE 2.0, BARCELONA; AND MANY OTHERS. IAN@HUBBUBMEDIA.NET +31 6 53 285 110 IAN WOULD BE HAPPY TO DISCUSS YOUR SPEAKING EVENT OR AN OPPORTUNITY TO HELP YOU INNOVATE.