35 Lessons Learned in 35 Years
Embed Size (px)
A collaboration between Srini Rao and David Crandall - Every year on his birthday Srini shares one lesson for each year he's been alive. This year he asked if I'd like to design and illustrate his 35 lessons. Being his business partner (and friend!), I said "HECK YA!!!" This is what we came up with. Hope you enjoy it!!
Transcript of 35 Lessons Learned in 35 Years
- 35Lessons Learned in 35 Years
- Every year on his birthdaySrini shares one lesson foreach year of life hes lived.
- Every year on his birthdaySrini shares one lesson foreach year of life hes lived.This year he asked hisbusiness partner David ifhed illustrate those lessons.
- Every year on his birthdaySrini shares one lesson foreach year of life hes lived.This year he asked hisbusiness partner David ifhed illustrate those lessons.This is what we created.
- Laugh more than you cry. You wont regret that. Youll always feel better when you laugh. In fact, laugh until youre laughing so hard that you are crying. Those are the best tears.
- Catch a wave once in this lifetime When you tell your friends what a thrill it was, theyll have one of two reactions. Theyll think youve lost your mind (especially when you have an obsessive personality). Or theyll want to experience it for themselves. But, theres no sense in trying to explain an orgasm to somebody who has never had one. The only way to understand is to experience it.
- Try something that might not work Everything you know how to do now was once something that might not have worked.
- Do something big, bold, and audacious at least once in your life (ideally get addicted to doing that)* If you need help with that talk to AJ Leon. It seems to be his default state of being. Defiance and audacity might just be his favorite words in the dictionary.
- Live fully in the moment The past is over and the future is promised to no one.
- Make friends not followers or fans. Friends last forever.Even if you decide to quit your online project, your friends will still be there. Fans and followers can unlike your page or unfollow you on Twitter.
- Sit in a bar with one of your oldest friends Tell stories and toss back beers, wine, or whatever it is you like to drink until youre the last two people there. The drunker you get, the better the stories seem to get. Theres something magical about that.
- Help somebody achieve their dream It will come full circle.Just dont wait for it or expect it. Thats the wrong intention.
- Perfect is an illusion.Theres no such thing. Were allflawed. My lips are too big untilsomebody kisses me and realizestheyve scored. Same probably goesfor that weird quirk youre super selfconscious about. Embrace that thing that makes you UNMISTAKABLE
- Comparison is a vicious trapbecause theres always somebody aheadand always somebody behind. Dont look too far forward... and dont look too far back.
- Dont get too caught up in comparison. Its easy to compare ourselves when our lives are on public display. Yet we judge the package by the wrapping paper. You may think you want someone elses life...but you dont. Youll get the parts that suck with the parts that are awesome. We dont realize that there is no Facebook photo album for somebodys inner turmoil.Make a conscious effort to celebrate little victories, appreciate what you have, and keep moving forward.
- Read something inspiring dailyStart with the Life and Times of a Remarkable Misfit.
- Say what you need to say Dont keep things on your chest. Youll eventually have a heart attack if you do.
- Build or create somethingwith your own two hands Break out your box of crayons, a blank canvas or a moleskine notebook. Lego Castles count too. Theres great joy that comes from building something with your own two hands.
- Dont make a big deal out of small things.Rain falls. Milk spills. Shit happens.If you get worked up about small things, youllhave a heart attack over the big things.
- Failure is not that big of a deal. You wont die or go to jail.
- Sometimes life will throw you curve balls. Youll end up feeling broken. Broken does not mean beyond repair.
- Learn from your failures Look for the lesson. There usually is one.
- Plant seeds... but realize they wont bare fruit for a while. In fact it will take longer than you think. So plant the seed, but dont get obsessed with it. If you keep digging up the seeds to see how well theyre growing youll stunt the growth. Youll get your moment in the sun.
- You can always wait until you have more time and money but...Theres no such thing as the perfect time My friend Marias accountant waited for the perfect time and she was diagnosed with cancer while waiting to take the trip of a lifetime. You have ONE life as far as Im concerned. Dont put living it on hold. My mom said she made a resolution to do something new every month. I said youve been on this planet more than 50 years. I think youve got some catching up to do. But I am glad to see my parents enjoying the fact that we live in California!
- Teach yourself something new every single day. Weve entered an era in which you can give yourself an education that kicks the crap out of the one you got in school.
- Learn to enjoy where youre at and what you haveIronically thats what enables you to get further and have more.
- Ignore your To Do list for a day and Create a To Be list Spend the day being all the things on that list.
- Watch one of your favorite bands at a live concert
- Waste a day on completely trivial pursuits Play video games. Wander aimlessly. Do whatever it is that will put a smile on your face.
- Kiss somebody on the beach while the sun is setting
- Buy an international plane ticket on a whim Try to put as little gap as possible between your purchase date and departure date. If it makes you anxious...thats good! Extraordinary occurs outside your comfort zone.
- Say yes to the things that will bring joy to your life.
- Money comes and goes. People and experiences are the real treasure in life.Measure your wealth in friends If thats the case Im getting very rich.
- Write something every single dayIt can be a word, a sentence,a paragraph, or 1000 words.Just because you write it doesnt mean you have to publish it.
- If you have to ask yourself if somebody is an asshole, youre already doomed.Have a no asshole rule! Dont work with them. Dont associate with them online or in real life. Please for the love of God, dont marry them. I know some of my female friends have dated them.
- Eat a chocolate lava cake preferably with ice creamDont trust people who dont like chocolate or haveany vices. Theyre almost always hiding something.
- People will remember you based on how you were most of the time If youre always angry, anxiety ridden, and stressed out thats how youll be remembered. You cant sing a different tune on birthdays, holidays, and special occasions and go down in history with the people around you as a grammy winner.So ask yourself how do you want to be remembered?
- Fall in love! Im told its marvelous. I cant speak from experience. Thats one thing I havent crossed off this list at my age. Hopefully youll do it sooner.
- Everybody has greatness within them! Sometimes you just have to mine for it. Stop with the self criticism and surround yourself with people who encourage your genius zone over your excellence or comfort zone. Easier said than done.
- Written by Srini Rao Designed & Illustrated by David Crandall
- Srini & David are business partners atBLOGCAST FM .com Feel free to stop by and say hi!
- Thank You! If you liked this, please share it!