2012 Social Media Job Search
Embed Size (px)
How to find a job using social media. Social media job search presentation presented by James Loomstein, Digital Space Consulting. Dallas, Texas based social media consulting firm. http://www.digitalspaceconsulting.com http://www.facebook.com/digitalspace
Transcript of 2012 Social Media Job Search
- The How To Social Media Job Search Overview Digital Space Consulting | 2012 Nobody ever got a job sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring. - Me
- The lines arent airplanes - they represent the real time, constant flow of data across the world
- The New Reality.People use social media to create their personal brand,search for jobs, and connect with companies, products,people and ideas how are you connected? Your resume is now a search
- WaitAbout Me Integrated marketing firm with over 10 years of direct advertising agency experience Extensive expertise in core marketing including: Local search marketing Pay Per Click (Google AdWords) Search Engine Optimization Insights and Web Analytics (Google Analytics) Marketing Strategy Brand Positioning Targeting/Segmentation Plus Im a dad, husband, and sports junkie Oh, and I sat in your spot and used tools like these to find a job.
- Agenda Why should social media should be a part of the job search strategy A nice little video Where do people get started / what platforms should they use (And, whats a platform?) How to create a game plan for job seekers Daily resources for every job seeker My warning Q&A
- Why should social should be a part of your jobsearch strategy Gain visibility Unlimited access to professionals in your target audience Provide transparency Being open and honest allows you to connect with others on common ground Helps you give to get Ask for help only after offering help to others the majority of time Allow nobodies to become somebody Create and cultivate your personal brand What The ROI of Social Media?
- Social Media Use These Platforms Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are networking tools - Designed to connect you with friends, family, and employers Social media helps you extend your reach When you let people know youre looking for work, they let their friends know, and so on and so on By using social media to assist your job search you are potentially casting the widest global net you possible can
- Nice video but seriously, is it really like that? 695,000 Facebook status updates 1,500 blog posts 13,000 iPhone apps downloaded 100+ new LinkedIn accounts 694,455 Google searches 98,000 Tweets
- The stats are wildly impressive but not really helping. Can this blah, blah, Facebook, Twitter,blah, social media thing really Help People get a Job?
- The How To Social Media JobSearch Hello World
- Step 1: Create a home What you will be able to do Direct people to your online profile via email, business cards, LinkedIn, etc. Provide a 30 second online commercial about you that works 24/7 Create a centralized link to your digital footprint LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Blog
- Next, Create profiles engage Get a Gmail email address Become a student of each platform (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) Engage and start conversations offer help and answer questions Make sure that your profile is updated Share useful content such as articles, etc. that your target market would value Write your profile for the job you want, not just the job(s) youve had Include keywords that are relevant to the type of job that you are searching for Optimize your profiles to let recruiters find you
- Then, optimize your profiles (LinkedIn) 100% completed profile Write for the job you want, not for the job(s) you had Add a picture Share news Ask for recommendations Join groups Section (certification, classes) Skills
- So how to use LinkedIn in your job search Create a detailed profile write for the job you want / not for the job you had Think about the top three to four keywords that you use to search for jobs Include: employment descriptions, education, industry, photo, and website links Include all of your resume keywords and skills in your profile Make it easier for recruiters to find you Get recommendations from people you have worked with Follow your target companies Use LinkedIns Advanced Job Search sign up for automatic alerts Use LinkedIn Groups and Answers to network and demonstrate your expertise in your field More connections = More opportunities
- And then use these tools from LinkedIn
- Next, optimize Twitter Add a picture Use same picture across all social media profiles Write a keyword based description Use as your 30 second commercial Use a link to your social media profiles LinkedIn Magnt / About.me Find people to follow (Like recruiters) www.listorious.com
- How to use Twitter in your job search Follow known experts in your industry Tools like Twellow.com can help you identify them Follow (#) Hashtags and frequent www.search.twitter.com Follow job search sites Search Twitter for job openings Search by location, job titles, company names, or hashtags I.e., #jobs, #job, #jobsearch #jobseeker, #dallas, #marketing, #career TweetMyJobs.com TwitJobsSearch.com Tweepsearch.com (find people/recruiters) Sign up for job alerts (mobile, e-mail, Twitter, Facebook) Follow recruiters Go to www.listorious.com (log into Twiter) Type recruiters in search box (search for lists) Find what you like click follow Youre now following your selected list on Twitter
- Be An Authority Find Something To Say: GoogleGoogle Reader Web-based aggregator, capable of reading RSS feeds Have content automatically sent to your Google account www.google.com/readerGoogle Alerts Set up Google Alerts to help you monitor job leads that never appear on major job boards Search query: (Dallas AND marketing) Set up a Google alert for : Your own name to monitor your personal brand Company press releases Keyword research Industry events/news updates www.google.com/alerts
- Be An Authority Find Something To Say:LinkedIn LinkedIn Signal - http://youtu.be/BDhj72OPCZk Filter: Browse only relevant status updates from your stream Search for keywords, topics or people across the stream Get an auto updated real-time stream with rich content Find the hottest trending links across any relevant topic And one more thing: saved real time searches
- Game plan The key is to make Create profiles (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) yourself visible on the Establish a simple one page website (About.me) Internet through your Post your philosophy, passion, experience website, by blogging, and Listen to what jobs are being posted via value based use of Google Alerts social media. Twitter: www.twitter.com/jloomstein/DallasJobList Build and develop a personal and professional online brand that reflects your skills, background, passions, experience, and personality Questions you should always be asking yourself Who are you writing for? What is the purpose? What is the call to action? What are you measuring?Platform Tools Description Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday SaturdayLinkedIn LinkedIn.com Anwers, company follow,Twitter Search Search.twitter, wefollow, twellow.com, KW search twitterfall.com. listorious.comTwitter Posting HootSuite Idea, questions, articles,Facebook Posting HootS