12 Years of Herding Cats: Lessons from the NCDD Board on Engaging the Engagers
of 48 /48
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of 12 Years of Herding Cats: Lessons from the NCDD Board on Engaging the Engagers
- 12 Years of Herding Cats
- National Coalition for Dialogue & Deliberation NCDD Board of Directors Sandy Heierbacher, Director Roshan Bliss, Blog Curator
- Agenda Welcome NCDD overview Lessons learned (part 1) Discussion: aspirations for the next phase of the field Lessons learned (part 2) Discussion: challenges & opportunities for the field Playing a facilitative role in this community Next steps
- What terms do you use to describe the work you do relating to dialogue and deliberation?
- Words NCDD Members Use
- NCDDs Purpose: Strengthening and uniting the dialogue & deliberation community.
- Supporting Innovators in D&D
- Open-Source Philosophy Membership is open to those who cant afford to pay the fee Resources shared widely no members only Popular listserv open to all Highly consultative, iterative
- Discuss for 3 to 4 mins: How do you find out about others doing work in your field and related fields?
- What MembersValue High quality, extensive website and resources Large, responsive, knowledgeable network Communication strategies & style Biennial national conference as a focal point for field building
- Membership Map
- Our Conferences
- 21 Categories 130 Tags 2,900 Resources
- We share NCDDs Work Many Others Work Opportunities to Contribute
- The NCDD Discussion list www.ncdd.org/listservs
- Too Much Information?
- NCDD as a Lean Startup
- Lean & Mighty Staff
- Strategic Alliances Kettering Foundation CommunityMatters Partnership Creating Community Solutions IAP2 Canada, Participedia And more!
- What would be the benefit to you and to society if the field were even more developed/robust?
- Discuss your shared aspirations for the next phase of the field.
- 2010 Regional Events Austin Boston Portland Denver San Francisco
- 2010 All-Star Sponsors
- 2014 Conference Sponsors
- Five Challenge Areas Framing Systems Evaluation Inclusion Moving from talk to action
- The Framing Challenge
- What do you think is one of the fields biggest challenges, and one of the biggest opportunities?
- Bridging Tech Enthusiasts & Tech Skeptics
- Codigital Experiment
- Learning from Social Media www.ncdd.org/social for links
- Education Civic/adult educ. Dewey/Freire Experiential and service learning Public reason Habermas/Rawls Public sphere Ethics, logic, and judgment Multi-stakeholder dispute resolution Democratic theory Local/state politics Public opinion Civil society Power/conflict Diversity studies Community organizing Collaborative problem solving Community building Community development Philosophy Political Science/ Public Affairs Journalism Public Administration Sociology/ Social Work Information Technology Natural Resources/ Environ- mental Studies Online deliberation Group decision support systems Public and civic journalism Mediated delib. Law Public law Mediation Deliberative Democracy & Collaborative Governance Communication Conflict resolution Small group/org. comm. Intercultural dialogue Rhetoric/political comm. Urban Planning/ Civil Engineering Cooperative Extension Democratic governance Collaborative decisionmaking and public participation Public Health Deliberation in the disciplines Public role in policy decisions Public role in design charettes
- What is NCDDs role? Community of practice / hub Facilitative leader Encouraging collaboration to achieve shared goals
- Newtown Example
- What should be NCDDs role in helping achieve our aspirations for the field?
- More at: www.ncdd.org Email: [email protected]