10 Tips to Sleep Well Naturally
Embed Size (px)
We've all had nights when sleep has just eluded us. Tossing and turning, flipping and flopping...maybe worrying about a test at school or a meeting at work, maybe for no apparent reason whatsoever. Fortunately, there are some good habits you can learn (as well as some bad ones you can work on getting rid of!) to help you get a good night's rest. If you find this slideshow helpful and would like to learn more, please visit our website, www.vegetarianzen.com and search for podcast episode VZ 043 - Sleep Well Naturally.
Transcript of 10 Tips to Sleep Well Naturally
- 10 Tips to Sleep well naturally www.vegetarianzen.com
- Keep a regular schedule 1 Go to bed at or near the same time each evening Limit sleeping-in to no more than an hour Maintain your sleep schedule on weekends as well when possible www.vegetarianzen.com
- Darker is better2 Check for unconventional light sources, such as the blue LED lights on electronics Turn off the TV Dont use electronics with lighted screens (computers, iPads, phones) www.vegetarianzen.com
- Relax & unwind before bed 3 meditate read for pleasure www.vegetarianzen.com
- Write down your thoughts 4 Make a to-do list for tomorrow Write in a journal www.vegetarianzen.com
- Dont exercise within 4 hours of going to bed 5 Your body needs time to cool down from strenuous exercise If you want to move, consider relaxing yoga poses or stretches www.vegetarianzen.com
- Limit caffeine to the early hours of your day 6 Caffeine is a stimulant Caffeine remains in your system for 8 hours long after you stop feeling the effects your brain still does! www.vegetarianzen.com
- if you are a smoker, quit! 7 Nicotine withdrawal pangs can wake you up throughout the night Smoking can make breathing problems like sleep apnea worse www.vegetarianzen.com
- try sleep-inducing scents 8 Lavender may decrease heart rate & blood pressure Others calming scents include chamomile, rose, jasmine, sandalwood To make your own pillow mist, combine 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 teaspoon of witch hazel and 4-5 drops of essential oil to a spray bottle and shake it up. Then just spray a mist over your pillows before bed www.vegetarianzen.com
- foods that may help you sleep 9 Melatonin-producers: cherries, tomatoes, grapes, walnuts Bananas contain natural muscle relaxants, magnesium & potassium Sweet potato a complex carb that contains potassium www.vegetarianzen.com
- FOOds to avoid before bedtime 10 High fat Sugar Dark chocolate (or any chocolate, really) Spicy foods Proteins www.vegetarianzen.com
- For more information: Website - www.vegetarianzen.com Vegetarian Zen podcast on iTunes / Stitcher Facebook - VegetarianZen Twitter - @VegetarianZen Thank you!