Entertainment & Humor
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of 0910 Halloween
- 1. Happy & Healthy Halloween Copyright, 2009, PreventiCare Publishing
2. A Scary Thought
- What could be scarier than a global epidemic of obese children?
- How about a holiday that fills youngsters tummies with candy loaded with:
- Hydrogenated oils
- Trans fatty acids
- White sugar
- Empty calories
Copyright, 2009, PreventiCare Publishing 3. Spooky Splurging
- Consuming candy in moderation is fine.
- But keep spooky seasonal splurging under control.
- Use Halloween to teach children to make smart food choices.
Copyright, 2009, PreventiCare Publishing 4. The Chiropractic Lifestyle
- Chiropractors promote thechiropractic lifestyle,
which focuses on preventing health problems.
- This lifestyle includes moderating intake of unhealthy snacks.
Copyright, 2009, PreventiCare Publishing 5. Healthy Halloween Treat Options
- Antioxidant-rich dark chocolate
- Organic fruit leather
- Sunflower crisps
- Pumpkin seeds
- Small boxes of raisins or other dried fruit
- Small toys or puzzles
Copyright, 2009, PreventiCare Publishing 6. Controlling the Candy Fest
- Trade candy for fun points --
Accumulate points to earn fun outings with Mom & Dad.
- Encourage neighbors to hand out healthy treats.
- Shorten Trick-or-Treat routes.
- Set a limit of one candy per day.
Copyright, 2009, PreventiCare Publishing 7. Parents: Self-Ration!
- Dont stock up on candy weeks before Oct. 31.
- Choose candy youre not fond of.
Copyright, 2009, PreventiCare Publishing 8. More Halloween Safety Tips
- Trim costumes with light-reflective tape.
- Give each child a flashlight.
- Avoid homes not well-lit from the outside.
- Trade masks for non-toxic face paint.
- Avoid props, such as swords, that could cause injury in a fall.
Copyright, 2009, PreventiCare Publishing 9. Schedule an Appointment
- Halloween, with its emphasis on skeletons, is a good time to introduce your child to chiropractic!
- Its also a good time to teach your child about the role of nutrition in the chiropractic lifestyle.
Copyright, 2009, PreventiCare Publishing 10. Pick Up a Copy of the Happy and Healthy Halloween OHU
- For more on this topic, please pick up a copy of the corresponding OHU handout.
- Look to the OHU for citations to research on this topic.
- Share the OHU handout with friends, family, co-workers, etc. Just let us know how many you need.
Copyright, 2009, PreventiCare Publishing