01 Introduction Lecturer: H. Cindy Lee Fu-Jen / 2004-5 Intercultural Communication & English...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of 01 Introduction Lecturer: H. Cindy Lee Fu-Jen / 2004-5 Intercultural Communication & English...
- Slide 1
- 01 Introduction Lecturer: H. Cindy Lee Fu-Jen / 2004-5 Intercultural Communication & English Education
- Slide 2
- ICEE / Cindy Lee Contents Communication Model Intercultural Communication (IC) Key Concepts of IC What Does Make IC Pervasive? IC Also Takes at Home The Aims of Language Education IC & Language Education IC & English Language Teaching and Learning Reflection Reference End: Discussion & Assignment
- Slide 3
- ICEE / Cindy Lee Communication Model Communication: The exchange of meaning Receiver Response Feedback Noise SourceEncodingMessageChannel ReceiverDecoding [Context] (Jandt, 1995 in Gibson, 2002)
- Slide 4
- ICEE / Cindy Lee Intercultural Communication (IC) Intercultural communication takes place when the sender and the receiver are from different cultures. Communication can be very difficult if there is a big difference between the two cultures. If there is too much cultural noise, communication can break down completely.
- Slide 5
- ICEE / Cindy Lee Key Concepts of IC Cultural differences or misunderstanding wont simply dissolve because two people speak the same language. Intercultural competence thus becomes the 5th element of language ability (in addition to the traditional 4 skills [ ] ). To guarantee successful communication, cultural understanding is crucial.
- Slide 6
- ICEE / Cindy Lee What does make IC Pervasive? New Technology and information technology Changes in the worlds population Global issues & cooperation The New Economic Arena In brief, the smaller the world becomes, the more international contacts increase.
- Slide 7
- ICEE / Cindy Lee IC also takes place at Home Immigration Taiwanese Situation (TW): e.g. More cross-cultural marriages in Taiwan/ Foreign manpower Co-cultures & Recognition Different ethnical groups Minority nationalities Different religious/political institutions
- Slide 8
- ICEE / Cindy Lee The Aims of Language Education What is the point of teaching, learning and using the language? Gain knowledge? Know about the outside world? Ensure pleasant interpersonal encounters? Contribute to international corporation? Create harmony in any communicative content? All of them or even more
- Slide 9
- ICEE / Cindy Lee IC & Language Education Learning IC helps to develop intercultural understanding for communication purpose IC course includes developing cultural awareness and knowledge We will also see how culture influences communicative contexts/behaviors
- Slide 10
- ICEE / Cindy Lee IC & English Language Teaching In this course, we focus on English (though the concepts of IC can be applied in mother tongue, too). Through study of English, we learn cultural knowledge and develop interculturality. Interculturality indicates two-way understanding (of both the foreign and home cultures).
- Slide 11
- ICEE / Cindy Lee Reflection How might new technology, population changes, the new economic arena, immigration, and so on affect you personally? (Consider among other things: your plans for furthering your education and pursuing a career.)
- Slide 12
- ICEE / Cindy Lee Reference Jandt, F. 1995. Intercultural Communication: an Introduction. Sage. Gibson, R. 2002. Intercultural Business Communication. Oxford University Press.
- Slide 13
- ICEE / Cindy Lee Discussion & Assignment Next section is about the meaning of culture. Please start to think about what it means to you! Now please go on the Discussion Section. -End- Thanks for your attention. See you soon~